broken leaf spring

BigRedJeep

Mind if I Smoke
Reaction score
looked under my truck today to find out why trailer brakes were acting up and i saw the leaf spring broke.

anyone know what caused this? and dose anyone have another set of stock springs?

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Several years back, I would occasionally hear a loud bang from the rear of the truck when I was towing my old work trailer. I couldn't ever find where it was coming from.:dunno

Then one day while going down a bumpy road, I heard another bang and saw something tumblng down the road in the mirror. I went back to investigate and found a piece of broken leaf spring. :eek:

I went to a local spring shop and they gave me a choice of stock type springs or ones with an extra 2 leafs. Since I did so much towing and had power enhancing items on the truck:innocent that might cause additional twisting force on the rear springs, I opted for the heavier ones.

It rides rougher than heck now, but I doubt I'll ever have to replace them. :sweet

BigRedJeep

Mind if I Smoke
Reaction score
it must have happened at night a few weeks ago when i was hawling a heavy load on my 25ft gooseneck. since then i have noticed it rides a little different and sounds like something is sliding foreword when i slow down, im assuming that i found the culprit.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
I would recommend replacing the pair. If one failed, the other may be on its way too.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No you don't want to replace just one, also I don't think
a new pair of shocks would hurt you. LOL

BigRedJeep

Mind if I Smoke
Reaction score
that is tru wd40, replacing one or two things at a time, when i got the truck it had 108,000 on it with everything stock.156,000 now and i have replaced clutch, altanator, waterpump, batteries, tires, and a few other things. suspension is next, anybody have recommendations for springs and or shocks?

MidwestOffroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can replace one but trying to find one spring is the hard part most only want o sell pairs.. also I have seen many SD with broken springs..

blowinsmoke

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
im getting lift kit kit when taxes get back no need for the stock springs. also got monster yj with sbc v-8, 1ton chevy axles, all spring , no fender trimming, on 40inch hawgs could go bigger 4,000 springs free. family lives in ohio county kentucky or springs 4,000 jeep free how ever you look at it

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58