broken leaf springs

Dieselpwrdredneck

Addicted2Diesel
Reaction score
Any body else have trouble with leaf springs breaking in the rear leaf pack. i noticed b/c i was doing brakes on the rear. had one break shortly after i got the truck, fixed that and added a couple more. now i have at least 2 more broke on drivers side, and havent even got to the passenger side yet. did it myself last time, think im just going to take it to a spring shop this time. and no i dont hual heavy all the time, just once in a while, and not even that heavy.

Thanks
Neal

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not saying your hard on your truck. The biggest thing is axle rap in dirt or other soft stuff. I see one thing on your list of thing you did to your truck is a lift. Did you add a lift block to the OEM block there already? I may see problem already do you have a ladders bars on your truck? May need to look at getting some. I thinking the truck is have a axle rap problem and that will break springs.

Dieselpwrdredneck

Addicted2Diesel
Reaction score
the lift that i refer to in my sig is only the extra couple springs, it only gave me at the most 2" in tghe rear and MAYBE an 1.5" in the front, stock size tires also. i do not like or approve of extra blocks for lifts. I've seen other trucks have ones break as well, actuall my friends 2004 6.0 has a broken one right now that also needs fixed. also i took the duals off the passenger side tonight and they all seem to be fine.

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not a block fan too. To many thing break that way if not set up right. Do you have a booster spring over the top of the spring now. It looks like a single spring on top of the spring pack? The only other thing I can think of trying is put a set of air bags on and see if that helps. If you want to do that I have a new air lift air bag setup for your truck here in my office. I got for my 04 truck I had but did not install because I sold the truck. 150.00 plus shipping and there yours if you would like them. Box weight is 36 pounds and it would be from 33614 zip. let me know.

dpantazis

Reaction score
yup

not I..
I think Pantazis had one break..

i actually have broken 2 in the last 2 years. the 3rd and the 2nd leaf in the pack. both on the lest side.

i usually have anywhere from 3-500lbs in the bed, so they are certainly getting exercised regularly so i dont think its fatigue, and its not due to overload. i gotta change the one soon....

spring shop- YMMV. i took mine to one of the 'reputable' ones in my area. when i went to leave and looked at their work, it was CROOKED! like really skewed. i raised holly hlel and had them redo it. i wont be going back there.

dp

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
The left rear spring leafs were breaking on my old 99 F-250. I towed a lot and had an exhaust brake. The riser blocks were the factory ones. I went to a local spring shop and they gave me the option of factory style IIRC 5 leaf springs or a heavier duty 7 leaf type. Since I towed about 80% of the time, I went with the heavier one. But they put the original riser blocks back in and the amount of extra height in the back was not tolerable. I had the feeling of sitting on top of a bar stool when going down the road. I took the riser blocks out and then the ride height was just about right. The unloaded ride was pretty rough after that, adding about 200 lbs ballast in the back was enough to load the springs and soften the ride noticeably.

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The unloaded ride was pretty rough after that, adding about 200 lbs ballast in the back was enough to load the springs and soften the ride noticeably.

...until you unloaded that Aux tank, and then the truck, eh?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58