Broken Oil Dip Stick

Jesse East

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hey, guys,

Anyone had the top of the oil dip stick just come off in your hand? The remainder is still in the oil checking tube---about an inch and a half down in there, so I cant readily get it out.

Its such a small tube that I am afraid that a special tool will be required----maybe a makeshift needle nosed or something.

Any ideas? Im still driving the truck---but need to check oil occasionally.

Thanks,

Jesse East
7.3 1999 F350 AT Dually Crew Cab Lariat

Last edited:

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they make REALLY REALLY narrow needle nose plyers or use some
LONG thin tweezers.

I dont know bout your particular model but most dipstick TUBES are
just pressed in (w/ and o-ring seal) or pressed in and held down w/ a
small bolt.

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
Need a little on truck to give a good answer. The 7.3 is pressed it with an o-ring seal and a small bracket that is attached to one of the valve cover bolts. Should be able to remove the nut and pull the tube. Not sure on the 6.0 and if it's a 6.4, take it back.

Scott

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, Jesse, you need to feel in your signature and tell us where your from and what kind of ride that you have. Welcome to SSD.com

Reaction score
Mine broke but it came off in my hand about halfway out. As much as we have to pay for these things why they gotta use a 20 cent dipstick.

stroker21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would try getting some tuff thin string and wrapping it in circles. Then drop the circles over the dip stick in the tube. The circles should clamp together and pull it out. Thats what I sould try first then start spending money on slim needle nose or pulling the tube outto get it.

txastuff79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it is much easier to just remove the dipstick. one nut and pull it out. it helps to have someone guide you back in since its close to the starter and is possible to arc... not saying i did, which i did... but i also bent my tube when installing the headers-had to replace the dipstick tube... it goes quick. i was done in less than 5 min.

TurboTy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the dipsticks really are pressed in? i thought there was something else goin on when i tried to do mine, i bent it pretty good when i did my glow plugs and its tough to get in and out, i got a new one, but tried to get the old one out and it would not budge and i didnt wanna yank toooo hard and fug up the oil pan, lol

txastuff79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
getting it out is easy. be careful when installing. this is where two people work best. i bent mine as well. now i got a new one, just havent put it in yet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14