Broken wheel lock

odie43

Odie1450
Reaction score
Guys I need help! I have a broken wheel lock, I tried the socket and hammer method. Take a socket the fits tight over the wheel lock. Now the socket is stuck on the wheel lock and just spins. I have the socket nearly split in half, it is stuck in the lug hole and I am out of ideas. I have aftermarket wheels, I am trying to be as careful as I can. But I have made some chisel marks. I thought about drilling the stud out?:ford

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have room for a nut splitter? The only other thing is to pull the brake line off the caliber and the hub off the truck and cut the stud off the back and knock it out to the front. Its a pain in the butt to do.

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
check with a local shop, someone there probably has one of theose kick butt kits that have tapered cylinder type sockets, that you pound over the security lugs and grips them. they always work.

also, you could try to weld a nut to the security lug, then put a regular socket on and spin it off.

silverF250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you using a twelve point socket? They seem to work the best. Or just take it to a tire shop and let them get it off for you.

odie43

Odie1450
Reaction score
Are you using a twelve point socket? They seem to work the best. Or just take it to a tire shop and let them get it off for you.
I used a 12 point and it is stuck on the broken wheel lock. I have tried to remove he socket, no luck

odie43

Odie1450
Reaction score
check with a local shop, someone there probably has one of theose kick butt kits that have tapered cylinder type sockets, that you pound over the security lugs and grips them. they always work.

also, you could try to weld a nut to the security lug, then put a regular socket on and spin it off.
The socket is stuck on the busted wheel lock

odie43

Odie1450
Reaction score
Have room for a nut splitter? The only other thing is to pull the brake line off the caliber and the hub off the truck and cut the stud off the back and knock it out to the front. Its a pain in the butt to do.
No room for a nut splitter

atk

Reaction score

yes those kits do work well(but not always)
if you have the room, an air chisel will work too, just have to be careful....

ok, just read your post again, nevermind the last couple of suugestions. but you will have to get that socket off there first....

depending how tight the nut is, sometimes a good pair of vice grips or smaller pipe wrench will work, but this depend on how much room you have to work with....just some sugestions....good luck

odie43

Odie1450
Reaction score
yes those kits do work well(but not always)
if you have the room, an air chisel will work too, just have to be careful....

ok, just read your post again, nevermind the last couple of suugestions. but you will have to get that socket off there first....

depending how tight the nut is, sometimes a good pair of vice grips or smaller pipe wrench will work, but this depend on how much room you have to work with....just some sugestions....good luck
The socket is the problem right now, I am thinking of drilling the stud off

atk

Reaction score
The socket is the problem right now, I am thinking of drilling the stud off

that may be your only option...

i use to have a tool that i made up, it was pair of vice grips with a slide hammer attach to it, worked really well. if you can rig something like this up, to get the socket off....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14