Help Needed Broken wheel studs

bling821

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HELP! I cant get four old, messed up wheel studs out of the hub and the new ones in. There isn't enough clearance from the hub and the e-brake. I took the bolts off of the e-brake assembly but there isn't anyway to move it around because I can't pull it out enough to get the bolts from the assembly clear of its mounting bracket. I'll try to look around the net for a while to see if I can find anything. Do I have to pull the whole firggin axle out to get the studs out? I can't do that and I'm afraid to mess around in the diff. If someone knows something call this number (808)372-4510. Even if it is too tell me I'm going to have to visit a shop to do it. If I don't find anything soon I'm going to bolt it all back up and head to a shop.

Story and pics will be posted in the lounge as soon as I get over this whole thing.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to pull the rear axle shaft then you'll see a nut to pull the bearing & hub assembly off get that off then you'll be able to beat the new lug studs in.

Good talking to ya.

dpantazis

Reaction score
which axle do you have?

iirc, the studs are on the hubs, which carry the wheel bearings. to get that off, it depends on which axle you have. don;t quote me, but i think the ford 10.5" you remove the 8 bolts from the axle and slide it out. you don;t have to get inside the pumpkin.

you will need the special hub nut tool and a big f'g puller too. the hub nuts are marked LH or RH. they ratchet as you install them. its a tedious job.

you should put in new seals too.

good luck

dp

bling821

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, just got back from the store and they had to send for the socket. I should get it in an hour or so. I'm going to get some gear oil too. What are these seals you speak of? I'm going to look into it too.

Thanks for the call and replies. Too bad nobody lives around here, its hot and biking to the store isn't all that fun. None of my friends will answer the phone.:rant

bling821

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do I need that puller to get the cover off. I took the eight bolts out and the cover moved about 1mm. I'm thinking that's what you meant because I don't know of any other way to get it out (without damage [hammer]). I'm going to the store again in a few minutes for that socket and a puller. I'm getting a workout today that's for sure.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Do I need that puller to get the cover off. I took the eight bolts out and the cover moved about 1mm.
What cover do you speak of? If you are talking the eight axle bolts then once the bolts are out smack the center of it with a big friggin hammer and it will bounce out. It is not a cover it is the axle flange.

bling821

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I already used a screwdriver to pry the "cover" off. As it turns out, there is an axle shaft hooked on there. Another thing that sucks is the 2 3/4" socket that a webpage said I needed isn't what I needed. I need the one with the four prongs on it. I don't know which so I'm going to buy all three that they have and return the ones that don't work. There wasn't a whole bunch of gear oil that came out so a quick squirt should do the trick.

This isn't that big of a job compared to the lift install. The only thing that sucks is that I'm finding out what parts I need one at a time and I don't have anything else to drive back and forth to the store. I finally got a hold of someone to get me over there and hopefully this will be the last trip I have to make.

BTW, I tried to call the local Ford dealer to get some help and that was a waste of my daytime minutes. It was probably a ploy to get me to give up and bring it in for them to work on it. Well I'm not. Even after all of the tools that I'll have purchased, it will be cheaper for me to do it myself than to pay for the dealer to just look at it to see the problem.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I already used a screwdriver to pry the "cover" off. As it turns out, there is an axle shaft hooked on there.
That would be the axle flange ;) Be sure to use a good gasket and put a small coat of silicone on each side of the gasket. Don't just use silicone with no gasket or it may be hard to get apart next time.

Even after all of the tools that I'll have purchased, it will be cheaper for me to do it myself than to pay for the dealer to just look at it to see the problem.
:sweet You are getting a education along with saving money.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14