Build Help/Expectations

Jonny

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hello Folks,

We are pretty set on purchasing a F-250 for our next work truck (We have 3 ((two gas one diesel (((damn LB7))) 2500 HDs in the fleet now). We have a skid steer with a backhoe attachment and a 20' box trailer that this truck will be pulling. I have never had nor intend to buy a travel trailer/RV 5th wheel, but one never knows.

The build so far is a F-250 SuperCab 6.7L Diesel Long Bed FX4 XLT Texas/Oklahoma Edition. Some options we are pretty set on is the Off Road Package, Powerscope Trailer Tow Mirrors, Xtra Heavy Duty Alternator, HD Service Suspension, (Wifes) Review Camera and XLT Interior Package.

Now some options if you could give your opinions on please. 1. Electronic Shift on the Fly (+185), 2. Engine Block Heater (+75) SWTX?. 3. Engine Idle Shutdow (+250) not sure what this is. 4. Upfitter Switches (+125).

And now for the Axle/Rear End. As stated above we do not pull a whole lot of stuff that weighs a whole lot but we do pull stuff in the back country into some pretty rough country. A truck similar in build out there has a 3.55 Electronic Locking Axle. The standard build is the 3.31 rear end. Would you help me understand the difference and the pros and cons of each and how is the fuel economy effected one over the other.

I believe the diesel may be a little overkill for what we do and went to the dealer set against it but when we drove the gas vs diesel I have a feeling the gas will not cut it for us.

Way out here also our Interstates have 80mph speed limits and SH at 75mph. I am proud to say the closest Walmart is 70 miles away but at the same time it is 190 miles to the nearest boat ramp.

Any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated and thenk you in advance.

JWV

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I have owned F-350's for 40+ years and all were 4 wheel drive. I, personally, would not get SOFT (Shift on the Fly). There have been problems with vacuum leaks at the hubs, for many years. Seals leak and the vacuum hoses crack and leak. They are difficult to find and repair if you are new to this. The second thing you have to consider is weight you haul. A F-250 is too light in the towing category for what you want to do. Get the F-350 and don't forget the Block Heater. You may not need it much but it is worth the few dollars when you do. The diesel will out pull a gas motor any day. Sounds like a nice truck you are specing.

Dave ;tu

Jonny

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thank you Dave.

I would not have thought the 250 would be too small and have not even considered the 350 but will go back and look. The skid steer set up we use comes in around 8500-9000#. I was not sure about the SOFT and was an option we thought was unnecessary. Thank you for the advice on the block heater. We sit 4500' in the high desert and it will get in the single digits but not very often and not for very long.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jonny, if your going to be pulling 8500 to 9000 Lb, I would for sure get the 3.55 gears and if your pulling it a lot at 4500 and higher
I would try to get the 3.73 gears. The Upfitter Switches (+125) you ask about are 4 switch's in your dash that you can add lights or
other things to, myself I think they are worth the money. Never had a truck with (Engine Idle Shutdown (+250), but I stay in my truck
tell the turbo cools down to 400. I would buy that also if your towing a lot. (HD Service Suspension,) not sure I know what that means,
sure hope it doesn't ride to rough. Hope I have said something that helps a little. Good luck and come back often.
Doug

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Think F350 for your intended purpose.

If you see single digits then the block heater is a good idea. I am installing pan heaters today on my 2015 but we see -40° around here. For single digits a block heater is plenty.

Idle shutdown timer is good if you are pulling hard and then need to jump out and run. I use mine regularly on my 96' diesel.

Up fitter switches are great if you are adding any electric accessories. I am wiring up a few lights today on my new 2015 and the switches will come in handy.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg