Bullet Proofing my 6.0!!!

bling821

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's been a few years since I have posted to the forum and I have been lurking off and on for a while but I felt like posting about what's going on around here.

So after a few years of light smoke and now a big ol' puff when I start moving from a dead start I decided it was time to do something about it. After looking at my options with EGR coolers I figured out what I need to do...and then some just to make sure;

RCD EGR delete
engine oil cooler
SCT X3 Tuner
ARP head studs
Black Onyx Head Gaskets
S&B intake
Sinister engine coolant filter
Updated turbo drain pipe

I think that will just about do it. I know there are some other things that can be done but I am not as worried about those other things.

To top all of that off...I am doing the work in my driveway. It is going pretty well but slow. As I tear into the engine I am pleased to not be finding some of the issues that are common problems with the 6.0. I really got lucky with this engine. There is no play in the turbo rotor, the pistons all look good (on the drivers side as I don't have the passenger side off yet) and I found the source of the oil leak that was collecting on the bell housing. Would you believe that it was just loose valve cover bolts? That felt really good to know that it wasn't anything major. No other oil leaks. I am attacking the EGR and oil cooler before I blow a head gasket, have injector failure or end up with oil in the coolant.

I am doing it with the cab on and the driver side head came off...well ok I guess. That was fun. I heard that those things were heavy but WOW! I'm just glad I didn't ruin the seating surface on the head. I have already been to Harbor Freight for a shop crane (I am not trying that again). To top it off, as I was pulling the head out I remembered that I didn't remove the EGT pyro from the manifold as the head wouldn't come out. Anyway, this job is going pretty well and I am taking lots of pictures. I will have to post em up. Also, the ford service manual DVD is a HUGE help. Don't try this without it.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Who are you again, dang it has been a long time. Hope this job goes well for you.
I talked to Brians Truck Shop and he pulls the engine out of the truck to work on it.
He drops the transmission out and then says it takes him about a hour to get the engine out so he can take it into a nice AC room and work on it. LOL Might be something to think about.
Good Luck.
Doug

bling821

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, there is no way I can pull the engine. I did have to pull out the heater core to get the studs and the head in on the passenger side. It came out but wouldn't go back in. Putting the torque down on those head studs was a beast. I couldn't work on the truck today because my arms are shot. Looks like I wont be putting the other head on until this weekend. The job is going pretty good. Everything seems to be going in just fine. Of course, you will never know until the first turn of the key. I'm almost a little bit afraid to do it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14