Question Bully Dog Watch Dog or Auto Meter Gauges

NASCAR Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am trying to decide which way to monitor things on my 05 Excursion with 6.0. Current mods are:

DP Custom Tune 80HP Economy Tune using SCT
MBRP 4" exhaust turbo back exhaust with cat delete
Accufab elbow
EGR delete

I want to monitor EGT temps, trans temp and boost pressure. If I buy the Bully Dog Watchdog it will run abpout $350 for the little computer and EGT pyrometer kit. WatchDog<sup>TM</sup> Multi-function Performance Gauge

If I buy the Auto Meter gauges for EGT, trans temp and boost pressure along with gauge pod it will run about $315.

The Watchdog would be easier to install, will show me EGT temps (with pyro kit I would need to install), trans temp and boost pressure and will also show me other things like water temp, battery voltage, oil temp, etc. The monitor uses the factory sensors to gather this information. My concern is how acurate are these factory sensors? The info they provide is only good if they are fairly accurate.

Auto Meter gauges are fairly accurate but the info is limited to what gauge you install.

Any advise pro or con for each would be helpful.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I am from the old school on gauges, and I AM old. Using another computer to monitor your computer controlled engine seems to me to be completely backwards. If you are monitoring your engine, you want a completely seperate set of gauges to do this. Go for the Auto Meters, I did.

Dave

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Old school...use separate sensors for pyro, tranny and boost (like Autometer)...Or go "NOLD-School" (New-Old)...and with the ISSPRO Performax series. Then every Christmas get yourself another gauge. Plugs into 3 wire bus so only 4 wires go through firewall for a boatload of gauges. But it will be another $100 or so I guess...I love my quad pod and now a fuel gauge on top of the rearview and a hole to fill with another gauge someday too.

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it was Diesel Manor iirc -- pretty sure.
yeah, here a partial copy of the order slip for 2009:

>
> -Sending 1 of Item # SpectraMatch; DieselManor SpectraMatch Plastic
> Paint, SM-F1077 - Ford Medium Parchment (tan)
> Comments: none, Giftmessage: none, Subtotal: $19.95, Taxes: , Shipping
> Cost: $0.00
>
> -Sending 1 of Item # Ford A-pillar; Ford Pillar Gauge Mount, AM-17308
> Ford, 99-07, Quad Gauge Pillar
> Comments: none, Giftmessage: none, Subtotal: $59.95, Taxes: , Shipping
> Cost: $0.00

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members