Buying a new truck. Opinions wanted

Discussion in '6.4L PowerStroke Engine & Drivetrain' started by Sbarnes2, Oct 19, 2015.

1. adamhoude88

adamhoude88 SDD Junior Member

If your interested in a diesel i would go with a 6.0 over a 6.4 in the long term will be more reliable. Once It has been bullet proofed can be very reliable and much cheaper to fix then a 6.4 and the best part is no exhaust after treatment problems

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

2. Msgtretiredcsp

Msgtretiredcsp SDD Junior Member

Well, I'm not going to try to talk you out of a diesel, but if you read my post that's going right now about the 6.4, 2008 pickup, you'll see I'm having some serious problems with my truck. Diesels are not cheap to keep them running. They are very expensive when things go wrong. I tow a 38 ft 5th wheel trailer, so I need a diesel. My 6.4 diesel was my forever truck when I first bought it. Well, I found out the hard way that these current diesel trucks are not forever trucks. Once your warranty is out, you had better have a good bank roll when it bites you in the hind end.

3. Farmerjon

Farmerjon SDD Junior Member

I love my 2 diesels.and have had no engine troubles with either one.But I am reluctant to use either one on a short trip that won't warm it up.
    If you are seriously thinking of a truck camper in the future you would be wise to consider only 8ft beds.
    A shorter bed really narrows your choices for a truck camper.
    And anytime you are towing, more power is always good but it can be gotten around by using lower gears and sacrificing speed on the hills or against wind.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016