Buying a new truck. Opinions wanted

adamhoude88

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
If your interested in a diesel i would go with a 6.0 over a 6.4 in the long term will be more reliable. Once It has been bullet proofed can be very reliable and much cheaper to fix then a 6.4 and the best part is no exhaust after treatment problems

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Msgtretiredcsp

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

New to the forum as I have a 97 F150, but wanting a Super Duty forever. Ive been looking at cheap used trucks with lots of miles, but everyone has kind of talked me into getting a nice truck, abd spending the money not on a NEW truck but a newER truck. So I've found 2 08 super dutys for the same price. I am just curious which one you guys think I'd be better off with.

1) 08 F350 with a 6.4L. Ext cab short bed with 117k miles.

2) 08 F250 with a 5.4L ext cab short bed with only 53k miles.

I don't do much towing, and my commute is actually only like 2 miles a day, so I'm not too concerned about gas mileage. I have read a lot on the 6.4 though and don't want to run into any of the problems. I know more about gas motors than diesels, but it sounds like the 6.4 is much better than the 6.0.

I'm in southeastern NH if that makes a difference. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks so much guys!

Sent from my *******-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Well, I'm not going to try to talk you out of a diesel, but if you read my post that's going right now about the 6.4, 2008 pickup, you'll see I'm having some serious problems with my truck. Diesels are not cheap to keep them running. They are very expensive when things go wrong. I tow a 38 ft 5th wheel trailer, so I need a diesel. My 6.4 diesel was my forever truck when I first bought it. Well, I found out the hard way that these current diesel trucks are not forever trucks. Once your warranty is out, you had better have a good bank roll when it bites you in the hind end.

Farmerjon

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I love my 2 diesels.and have had no engine troubles with either one.But I am reluctant to use either one on a short trip that won't warm it up.
If you are seriously thinking of a truck camper in the future you would be wise to consider only 8ft beds.
A shorter bed really narrows your choices for a truck camper.
And anytime you are towing, more power is always good but it can be gotten around by using lower gears and sacrificing speed on the hills or against wind.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58