Buzzing in Cat

Chuckster

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Cat Converter on my '04 SD is buzzing at idle when warm. If I get under the truck and hit it with a hammer the noise goes away for a couple of days. Noise also stops if you put foot on exaust tip. Anyone have any experiance with this????? Neighbor suggested Ford had a run on bad converters for a while...??

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Interesting. My CAT has about the same miles and time on it, and no problem with the buzzing, or rattling.

Dave :dunno

KRISTOLSON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dad's '04 gas has a similar problem, but on his it is the heat shields that make the noise. He says they are mounted with spotwelds that have popped loose, so he has a lot of hose clamps holding the shields tight.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dad's '04 gas has a similar problem, but on his it is the heat shields that make the noise. He says they are mounted with spotwelds that have popped loose, so he has a lot of hose clamps holding the shields tight.

X2.

The fact that when you put yer foot on the tailpipe.. or hammered it.. it quit.. made me think [heat shields] too ?

Chuckster

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies... I'll have to get under there again and look but it's my gut feeling that the insides of the cat are coming apart. I'll try wrapping it with a hose clamp and see if that changes the resonance at all.

Chuckster

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Well the problem turned out to be what I suspected... The internals of the Cat came apart and were shaking themselves to death. Nothing a By pass pipe didn't fix. Tore out cat and put the by pass pipe in it's place. Exhaust note is a little more pronounced and more desireable... YAY::sly

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58