Bypass filter blow out, left stranded 3 times!

team_penin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just from looking at your first pic, I would say poor design.....looks like there is not enough surface to keep the seal anywhere near to it is suppossed to be. there should be some way to keep it in place as stated above. just send that piece of junk back and get you a real unit! but you have allready decided to do that! Just thought I would pu my 2.0 in. :sweet

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
team_penin said:
Just from looking at your first pic, I would say poor design.....looks like there is not enough surface to keep the seal anywhere near to it is suppossed to be. there should be some way to keep it in place as stated above. just send that piece of junk back and get you a real unit! but you have allready decided to do that! Just thought I would pu my 2.0 in. :sweet

I agree. Although the filter is mounted within the acceptable angle as stated by Amsoil, the BE-110 filter is about 12" long and seems like a lot of filter to hang on the threads at an angle. And the seal keeps popping out near the top, right where the pressure on the seal is the least. I bet if the filter were hanging vertical I might not have this problem. Anyhow, it's getting packed up.....

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
TexasExcursion said:
Then I'll get the oil guard system.

IMO good move. :sweet I couldn't find a standard design oil filter wrench large enough to fit the filter housing so I purchased a black rubber strap oil filter wrench. Problem solved.

JSPulliam21

Uva Uvam Vivendo Vari Fit
Reaction score
I have read over on TDS that the Amsoil bypass system is a real problem, as far as blowing seals. OilGuard seems to be the weapon of choice.

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
I just returned the bypass system to Amsoil, should have a refund in a few days. They indicated that they were returning my money for the assembly plus the lost oil from the blow-outs, but we'll see what they do. I've got the credit card company's number handy in case I've got to go that route.

I had purchased the aluminum billet caps from MTM (Oilguard) for $175 to use on the Amsoil install. The Oilguard bypass assembly uses these same caps, so they just charged me the difference between what I'd already paid them ($175) and the cost of their filter assembly ($290) which includes the fittings and hoses. I thought that was pretty decent of them because the filter assembly (no fittings or hoses) by itself goes for $160. I'm already happy with Oilguard and I haven't even got their filter yet. :thumbs

aim300x

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I found this on another forum [I highly recommend you avoid the contraption from Amsoil called the Dual Remote bypass and full flow combo. There have been issues as posted over at BITOG as to it's spring loaded ball that puts a restriction on the full flow filter inlet to force oil through the bypass section.]

DavidJ

DavidJ
Reaction score
Post a link if possible.

aim300x said:
I found this on another forum [I highly recommend you avoid the contraption from Amsoil called the Dual Remote bypass and full flow combo. There have been issues as posted over at BITOG as to it's spring loaded ball that puts a restriction on the full flow filter inlet to force oil through the bypass section.]

I may have put this one on my 00 X. Guide me where to read the potential problem please.

geabis

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
i too am having problems with amsoil bypass filters. but not with the filter it self as the filter canister seems to be one of the best one can buy. but my problem is with the restrictive flow of the dual remote bypass (it just can't flow enough oil for a diesel thru the full flow filter this in turn starves the engine of critical cylinder wall lubrication the restriction isnt in the bypass adapter it self as was noted by someone previously but in the small 3/8 line and fitting restrictions used to connect the assembly).

but in my observation of your pics it either looks as if you didn't have the filter tight enough or that the filter canister bottom was defective and couldn't contain the gasket.

the filters specify to screw 1 turn after gasket makes contact and its been my experience that you need to put a filter wrench on the filter to do this. and trust me I'm no weakling. it just takes that amount of torque.

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
geabis said:
but in my observation of your pics it either looks as if you didn't have the filter tight enough or that the filter canister bottom was defective and couldn't contain the gasket.

the filters specify to screw 1 turn after gasket makes contact and its been my experience that you need to put a filter wrench on the filter to do this. and trust me I'm no weakling. it just takes that amount of torque.

Actually, the instructions say to turn the filter one full turn after the filter first makes contact, then back off 1/8". That's exactly how I installed the filter. After the second blowout, however, I spun the filter on almost as tight as I could get it....and it still blew out. I'm not into product or company bashing, but I think the Amsoil bypass filter is a piece of crap. I'm still a fan and user of their 5W30 Synthetic oil, though.

geabis

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
knowing that the filter was tightened correctly, i would have to say that the failure was due to the extra length of the BP-110 and narrow gasket diameter and the angle that its mounted on (yet another engineering mistake by amsoil). some engine vibration and some rough road and you have a leak.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58