Bypass oil filters

deeretrac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why are bypass oil filter topics such a hot disagrement on the other site?

if you dont run what Somebody runs then its wrong.

and dont even think about suggesting a DIY to keep the cost down.

Sorry about the rant

Rob

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
What has been your experiences with your own bypass system? Oil change intervals? Oil analysis reports? Visual check of oil cleanliness? etc etc?? Can you provide your parts list and a how-to on your installation? I'm interested.

As far as why is it such a controversial subject? You answered your own question. Some folks like to argue just for the sake of argument.

deeretrac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i am running a DIY bypass filter with an Amsoil filter(BE-100).changing oil once a year about 10000 to 15000 miles(only have to drive truck about 4 months a year).
oil was clean without bypass up to 5000 miles with Exxon 15w40 XD3 before bypass.am running mobil truck&suv 5w40 from wal mart(told by mobil jobber its the same as mobil Delvac 5w-40) now and am thinking about going back to XD3 oil with bypass.
Sorry dont do analysis YET but am thinking about doing a synthic and dino comparision.with only 10 to 15000 miles a year not sure an analysis is cost worthy.

filter head is a Permacool # 1216(cost was about $20 plus shipping) Amsoil filter uses a 1 inch x 16 pitch thread.i can give you the number of the place i got mine from if you cant find one locally.

i DONT like the ides of having to order a filter from a dealer on the internet and am looking and invesigating a hydraulic filter setup and can get locally but not sure yet.

as far as other parts is just reagular parts like hose and fittings to connect to truck.give me a day or two to find past threads and post extra parts you will need.

maybe i need to make a post in the DIY forum for a WIKI article?
if anybody has a filter idea i have not heard of PLEASE let me know. i am always looking for a cheaper idea.

Thanks 95. some just like to agrue. search my username on "the other site" and look for the DIY bypass thread and you will see what i mean and also find some useful info i wish i could import here for the betterment of the community except for the BULLCRAP some dumbbutt wants to add.

Rob

Last edited:

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
I'm sure the oil couldn't care less if the hoses, clamps and filter were bought locally or ordered on the internet. :D I've got the OilGuard bypass, but stopped myself short of replying to that thread over there. I change my bypass filter ever 8K and my UOAs have been great for the last two years (except for my experiment with Redline 15W40). Seems that shoebear has a bypass filter thread once a year over there and with each passing year his passion for bypass filter threads grows. :roflmao

Last edited:

deeretrac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats kind the one i was talking about.
i value shoebears opinion but damn the crap you put up with asking questons or giving an opinion.

the reason i did not go with the Oilguard is the cost(im cheap)(im afarmer and mechanic) but 1 micron is 1 micron i dont care which filter you have.

dont look at that thread for my response but maybe a year ago. i think it was about 5 pages long.

have not follewed shoebear that close but thanks for the heads up.

Rob

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
deeretrac said:
have not followed shoebear that close but thanks for the heads up.

Trust me...neither do I but some things just stick in my brain. If TDS allowed images...this one should be about right for that thread. :D

JOAT

I Found Nemo!
Reaction score
deeretrac said:
thats kind the one i was talking about.
i value shoebears opinion but damn the crap you put up with asking questons or giving an opinion....
...Rob

Man, is that still going on:rolleyes:

As I recall the year ago thread led to about 2 weeks of Shoebear and I PM'ing back and forth. I got my Amsoil Bypass around the same time he got his and I pulled mine apart to clean it (looked dirty outside) and found alot of machining debris left inside :eek:

Can't say if his problems were related to a similar lack of final cleaning or not. I do know his UOA numbers were higher than normal but not freakishly high, tho when you use Blackstone, they get you all excited anytime a number is up.

Kind of wandered off topic, but to get back to it, I use an Amsoil Dual bypass setup and if you use anything different you're a loser :roflmao

Sorry, couldn't resist. Thanks tho on the part number for the header that takes the BE100, Rob. If convenient I would like the number of the place you got yours. Thats a great price and I'd rather go cheap DIY next time around (want a bypass in the Boat and RV). I am happy with the results I get from the Amsoil bypass filter, so no reason to change, and the less different types of filters I have to buy, the better.

Last edited:

deeretrac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
here you go Joat
i called CJ's and talked to Don i think. they are in indiana(i think)and the shipping was more than the filter base.
phone # is 815-625-2031

cost for the base was $14.95

any Permacool dealer can order it for you.If you have one close it might be cheaper to use them than pay the shipping.

hey joat where is your mount mounted? and can we mount the base sideways?i dont like where i have mine mounted and dont really want to mount on the outside of the frame.

Rob

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58