Bypass Oil Filters

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey gang... I did a search on the other boards here and didn't see anything on this so I'll ask the question now. What are your experiences with bypass oil filters?

I have a couple to look at...

Puradyn http://www.puradyn.com/
Gulf Coast Filters, Inc. http://www.gulfcoastfilters.com/index.htm
OilGaurd Superior Filtrations Systems http://www.oilguard.com/Ford6.php
Control Masters Inc. http://www.controlmastersinc.com/ult...oil_filter.htm
Filtration Solutions World Wide - FS2500 http://filtrationsolutionsww.com/

OilGaurd, Filtrations solutions, gulf coast look like they have the neatest package. The others have some interesting options as well. Not wasting my time with amzoil...

I'm thinking that oilguard and filtration solutions use the same Racor (parker hanifin hydraulics) filter element, but I'm not sure. I like the design of these. Filtration solutions has a 30 minute video online about their filter, and all I can say is wow... very impressive. You'll see why I discredit the amzoil filter.

One of the things that sticks out in my mind is the puradyn system for two reasons. 1 they have some form of additive replenishment in the filter and 2 it has a heater to cook off water and fuel. The problem is, the call it a 200 degree heater, now for you folks in denver, water will boil out. For us down here at sea level, it makes a good coffee warmer!

I have not taken delivery of my new '06 yet, and I'd like to have a set of filters handy so when it gets here, it will be installed. I also want to do the same for the tranny fluid as well.

I figure you guys and gals here have more collective knowledge on this than I do at this point so there's no harm in asking! Thanks and talk to you all soon!

Kleetus

Saftman

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I am getting ready to order the Oilguard. The FS2500 is a little on the expensive side. The Oilguard setup appears to be pretty simple without drilling or tapping the oil pan.:sweet

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of doing about the same thing as the Oilgaurd setup, except come out of the bottom of the oil filter housing, and go into the side of the filler neck with maybe a 90 on it to keep the oil headed in the right direction.

I wonder if they use the same filters? I tend to think that Racor made the entire filter assembley for IH for this motor... I have a data sheet that shows this housing that looks a lot like the fiter arrangement on the 6.0...

How much was the FS-2500? I plan to use one on the Tranny as well.

deeretrac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i would like to know WHY not the Amsoil?

what if i can get you a Amsoil setup CHEAP but you will have to do some work your self.

I AM NOT NOT NOT a dealer. but $30 is $30 for the mount plus filter but on a 6.0 you need the cap and stuff from oilguard.

im just trying to help people say money but if you dont like the Amsoil thats fine by me.

Rob

FTG-05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
deeretrac said:

what if i can get you a Amsoil setup CHEAP but you will have to do some work your self.

I AM NOT NOT NOT a dealer. but $30 is $30 for the mount plus filter but on a 6.0 you need the cap and stuff from oilguard.

im just trying to help people say money but if you dont like the Amsoil thats fine by me.

Rob

This is what I plan to do. That Oilguard oil filter cap and oil filler cap setup is great, IMO. I've already got the [BK-11, got it free, have no idea] mount off of my '98 Dodge Ram, so I plan to reuse that.

Thanks,

Al

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
deeretrac said:

Rob

I too would like to know what's so bad about Amsoil??? Am I missing something? More expensive?

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing none of you guys went to the links I posted... If you go to the Filtration Solutions World Wide - FS2500 http://filtrationsolutionsww.com/ website, there are 2 videos on there. If you have a decent connection, it's not too bad. Anyway, the one video on there they put their filter up against a fleetgaurd filter and an amzoil filter. Neither one of them caught much. Theirs did. The fleetgaurd did do a little better than the amzoil in my observation.

It was actually a little creepy to see how much wasn't caught.

It's that and all you see are amzoil adds all over the freakin' place, but you don't actually see it used to many places, at least out here anyway. Mobil 1 on the other hand, is much more common.

deeretrac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NO i did not go to the links(slow dial up).

can you say marketing hype?

like i said i am NOT a dealer and do not like the Amsoil approach.

what filters do you use for the rest of the truck?
i can tell you and show you fancy video that ___________(insert wat ever brand) wont or will be better than what you use.
now that being said anybody using a bypass filter what ever brand is better off than someone not running one.
i was trying to save you some money.but its yours and do what you want to with it.after looking and deciding on your own with what is out there and whats best for you then do it and DONT look back.

Rob

Last edited:

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Marketing hype or not... you ought to look at the video. I'm a pretty firm believer in you get what you pay for... not always but... FS2500 setup for oil and tranny is $800. That's pretty steep. I'm leaning towards the Oil Gaurd setup. It's about 1/4 the cost. It also has similar technology, although they didn't want to admit it.

take a night, literally, and watch it. Me being engineering, I can tell you the test "holds water" and they did that too by the way. I can't justify 800 bucks though.

Whatever... 100k mile mark will tell a lot.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
the belowtest is my install write up for the oil guard, not sure how FS2500 goes in.
Oil Guard install for the 6.0. Quite different from the 7.3 I had.
Not to sure if it’s a big deal but there are some cautions you should be aware of doing this install.

The instructions with the kit are way too vague, and a little to impractical for longevity.
They suggest you install the oil guard housing down on the passenger frame and route the supply and return lines down the passenger side of the engine bay. This in my opinion is a recipe for disaster later on down the road. It places hoses to close to HOT exhaust components, to close to sharp edges, and has minimum places to safely mount the hoses.

The best alternate route is to run the supply and return lines across the engine bay.
Once all is connected it is important to seat the oil filer correctly in the stock housing or you will get zero flow through the oil guard system. I like to check flow and it was a good thing I did, because the factory filter was not seated down right to allow flow through the cap to the oil guard, the oil guard comes with a special replacement oil filer cap that is plumbed to accept an outlet line. It is important to listen or feel for the filter to seat and close the drain valve. After it seats you will get plenty of flow and pressure.
The return line uses a replacement oil filler cap with a line plumbed in to allow return oil to flow back in the engine.
i beleive the entire write up with pictures in the WIKI

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58