Question Ca smog!

skertin3rd

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I have an early '99 F-250 that needs to be smoged now! It has been down for about 2 months, and I was going to revamp it. Stage 2 single shot injectors, DP tuner, and Adrenaline HPOP. Does anyone know how this will effect the stupid smog test? I have a 4" straight pipe that I will have to put the cat back on obviously. Does anyone have a similar setup, and how much smoke blows on stock setting in neutral @ 3000 rpm? This whole thing is BS if you ask me! :dunno

skertin3rd

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Haha!

My only saving ggrace is that I have an odd number vin, so mine wont need to be done 'till next year. I just don't want to get to carried away and have to tear it all down again.

mp18d

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm

I did a little Google fu and it looks like...

The smog stations do a visual inspection...I'm thinkin the only thing they can inspect is the intake (CARB sticker??) and exhaust. And my pickup has no sticker anywhere that says it is a Calif or 48 state truck so not sure how the smog guys are gonna figure out if it truly needs a cat....VIN check maybe :dunno:dunno

Then they do a computer check (OBD) that looks for malfunctions. Guess I have to get that glow plug fixed...

And finally a visible smoke check..there is no mention of what the parameters are for this test. "Visible" :dunno:dunno
If one has done internal mods there is no way for the smog folks to know...no particulate matter test, no NOX etc. Guess we dont have to put the smog pump back on:D:eek::innocent
Google california diesel smog test or similar...

Hope this helps

Mike

skertin3rd

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I did a little searching myself and found that it is ALL pretty much visual. I have ZERO carb stickers! Who does? I don't even think they have them for diesel products:dunno
The CA BAR site says that the visual smoke test looks at the engine compartment for smoke, the crank case breather, and the exhaust.
It states that after the second and third bar snap test(truck in neutral, rev to 3000 three times) The first rev does not count, but upon the second and third, if the exhaust smoke blows 5 to 15 feet from tailpipe and lingers for more than 3 seconds it FAILS! Now what diesel doesn't blow smoke @ 3000?
Anyways, my problem is if I go put in stage 2 single shots, will it flood the cylinders with so much fuel that it will throw smoke. Also, in neutral there is no load on the motor so that might help?
I hate smoging vehicles which is why I bought this!::dizzy
Thanks for the reply. I wish I knew someone with a similar setup

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:dunno My 2K has a sticker under the lip of the Hood, just to the left of the latch... sez Non-Catalyst.. CARB compliant at the Time of sale.. Bla Bla Bla

forgotten man

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
i got a early 99 and took the cat off years ago... its long gone.. any one know where to get a cat for a 99 psd. will any work or does it have to be 99 psd specific? I dont even remember what the darn thing looked like.

skertin3rd

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Yeah I'm gonna need one also, so if you find out where to get them let me know. I believe it was a little longer than a regular sized one but not positive(it's been 11 years!)

dpantazis

Reaction score
iirc, the early trucks were all CARB compliant with the cats on them. so maybe no sticker?

maybe you give Jody a call and ask him about your programming. if you have a flip chip, maybe he can give you a 'smog-test' burn?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14