Cab and body mount replacement thoughts?

rickh

Biodiesel Rules!
Reaction score
Ok, mid ships are in. Much easier than the rear ones, mainly due to access. Still used the sawzall with a long blade and cut the center tube and the OEM mount fell out. (Watch out for HOT flying bits of rubber!)
Now to tackle the fronts, in the morning.
Lots to remove first, grill guard, front receiver hitch, bumper I think will need to come off. Well it is so easy to take off will probably remove it also.
Two more!
Rick H...

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
Mine were done differently. All bushings on driver's side (front, mid & rear) were done together then the passenger side was done together. That meant jacking up one side of the cab at a time. Different ways to skin a cat.

rickh

Biodiesel Rules!
Reaction score
Time issue for me.
Did not want the truck down over night and working by myself and first time so slow. Wife needed truck to run errands and I hate burning gasoline when the truck is full of cheap Biodiesel!
Rick H...

rickh

Biodiesel Rules!
Reaction score
Front mounts under way, what a pain! Bolts rusted bad. Strange how they are made, the bolt threads not only into the nut on top but also the metal that sits under the rad support and on top of the mount perch.
Metric bolt 12 x 1.75 x 4" long.
Hope the heck I can find 2 on a Saturday.
Lots of heat to get the bolt out.
Rick H...

rickh

Biodiesel Rules!
Reaction score
Well best I could do was to find a 12mm x 1.75 thread picth x 3.54" (80mm) bolts.
And they were not threaded up far enough.
I think the 3.54" will be fine, used a hand die and cut threads all the way to the head.
So in the end, when it comes to the front ones, have replacement (OEM) bolts on hand before starting.
Rick H...

rickh

Biodiesel Rules!
Reaction score
Not yet! Had to take a break and cool off.
Got behind on some custom programing for BDCalc so had to get that done, ready to finish now, just waiting on upload.
All I have left to do is thread in the bolts I bought and cut threads into.
I have posted this play by play not because I have nothing to do, but because before starting the project I could not find any good info on how to go about it. Now we will have it in a post that should come up on search.
Rick H...

rickh

Biodiesel Rules!
Reaction score
Ok done!
All in all a pain and could have used another helper.
Rusted and breaking off bolts, dirt falling in your face hot but I thnik in the end it is worth the effort,
Will see if it not only helps the ride, but if it takes away that roaming front end feeling.
We replace all steering and ball joints and new tires, bearings and brakes last year trying to eliminate the roaming.
Hope the heck this does it.
The old mounts were pretty soft and the fronts on the bottom were split so it has to make a difference.
One skinned knuckle and one cut thumb, came out pretty good.
Oh in the end I did not remove the bumper grill or front receiver just had to take the 2 bolts that hold the receiver to the radiator support. This was so the front clip would lift off the frame/ mount perches.
Rick H...

Last edited:

rickh

Biodiesel Rules!
Reaction score
Test Drive Results...
Better, much better. No Swaying or mushy feeling when cornering, like before. Ride, hard to say, with 120 gallons of fuel on board it rides pretty good anyway, but I think the ride is better.
Roaming front end, that seems a LOT better. The truck has 194k on it so I would expect some play in the steering gear box and as I mentioned before, all the steering components and ball joints were replaced last year.
The energy suspension bushing kit I used cost me 80 bucks locally at CarQuest. Not the deal of the century but they take care of me overall.
I AM DONE!
Rick H...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58