Cab Visors

moto jockey

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
First off, let me start by saying hi to eveyone. It's great to have another site to go to. I've been thinking about installing a cab visor but haven't seen many pictures of trucks with them. Are people keeping away from them for any specific reason or is it just personal preference? Thanks guys.

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just installed one but havnt taken pics yet. Need too.

I did notice an increase in low frequency wind noise tho. A really low pitch, almost "thumping" sound that was NOT there before I install it. Doesnt really bother me, its just a "new" noise that I wasnt used to hearing. (dont like hearing "new" sounds)

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Hi Craig and Welcome to SuperDutyDiesel,great to have you aboard! :sweet

I always had a Lund installed on my International 4700's for increased shading but the two things that are noticable is increased wind noise/turbulence and occasionally I've had a couple crack on the fiberglas ends where they bolt in otherwise a nice addition :cowboy:

Bill

JohnBoyToo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome there New Guy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Had one on my hippy-dippy van back in the 60's :) and always wondered how much of a mpg hit I was taking from that parachute on top my windshield...

So, I've not done one since... but I did, however, put a 5 inch strip of limo tint along the top of the windshield on my X for sun block...

let us know how it works out for u....

DBogo

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
hey welcome to the site i bought my truck with one it keeps the sun out my eyes and gives the truck a pretty mean look

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Our Excursion had one on it when we bought it. The wife loves it but I hate it. It makes all different sounds depending on temperature and wind speed. It also squeaks when it gets real cold out. I personally would never install one. You can take a look at it in my Garage. By the way it also makes it difficult to wash the windshield. Did I mention I hate it?

moto jockey

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Everyone mentioned the noise problem as a complaint. Makes me wonder if the cut outs aren't big enough to accomondate the air under the visor. I think the visors look good on certain color trucks, and not good on others. It seems that primary colors tend to look the best. I'm still up in the air on an install. :dunno

CHPMustang

Reaction score
moto jockey said:
Everyone mentioned the noise problem as a complaint. Makes me wonder if the cut outs aren't big enough to accomondate the air under the visor. I think the visors look good on certain color trucks, and not good on others. It seems that primary colors tend to look the best. I'm still up in the air on an install. :dunno
The installation on the Internationals basically had to drill 5 holes in the roof so it can't be that much different from the SD/Excursions.

Bill

DBogo

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
i dont notice any noise maybe there is and i just cant hear it over the truck

SDEric

Here's my pride!
Reaction score
I used to install these when I worked for Sundowner (Horse trailers). I found the biggest reason for noise was improper install. You can't help the wind noise unless you trim out the flow holes. I think that it lets more light hit the windshield robbing it of that A-Team bad a$$ look. IMHO. There are many options to rid of the "Thumping, ratteling and creaking" noises. First option is to add a ton of clear silicon caulking under each point of contact. This acts like a shock to the creaking and rattleing noises. A drastic step, and one that I take, since I am already drilling holes in the roof more than likley the Visor is going to remain on for the life of the truck. I enlarge the holes to fit an actual bolt and from the inside I drill a larger hole to fit a socket, that will tighten the nut. The I find a peice of flat steel that is larger then the center contact area, and drill the same holes, and trim a small piece off the inside of the cab roof, so that I can slip the flat steel inbetween the sheet metal. I only do this for the center, as the sides are pretty strong. This eliminates the thumping noise that occurs from the visor, which is caused from the wind hitting the visor and slightly bending the sheetmetal, creating the thumping noise.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14