California Fires

02SilverStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are there any SDD members who have been affected by the California fires? From what I've seen, it's literally "hell on earth". Looks like "The Governator" is staying on top of things. You'd think that with the Pacific Ocean nearby, there'd be plenty of water to put it all out. One of the news reports said that there were so many fires that the firefighters couldn't get to them all, or in some cases they were so hot that the firefighters couldn't even get close to them. Hopefully the changing systems will help to calm some of the winds and make it easier to handle.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
I'm waitin' for the same thing to happen in the southeast...

we had one in the UP this summer when it was godawful dry.. darn thing burnt UNDER the ground in the peat...

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Are there any SDD members who have been affected by the California fires? From what I've seen, it's literally "hell on earth". Looks like "The Governator" is staying on top of things. You'd think that with the Pacific Ocean nearby, there'd be plenty of water to put it all out. One of the news reports said that there were so many fires that the firefighters couldn't get to them all, or in some cases they were so hot that the firefighters couldn't even get close to them. Hopefully the changing systems will help to calm some of the winds and make it easier to handle.

This has been going on every year for centuries. Nothing new, just a bit bigger than normal. The Malibu Canyon fire is close to where I used to live, and that is some rugged country. A lot of people have had to evacuate their homes, and that is rough on the many families involved.

Dave

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
Heard last night that the evacuees created forty miles of traffic gridlock on I-5 North. :eek: I was wondering why last night I kept hearing sirens every very couple of minutes for hours. It was local fire crews heading to SoCal passing through my valley. :sweet

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score

wayne
abut 2.5 years ago i was in sacramento training some national guard firehawk folks and asked the same thing about the ocean....
seems when you dump tons of sea water on the forest it creates a NO GROW area for years, seems the salt is a no joy,
i know them guys are working thier buttts off, it was a great unit with excellent aircraft and crew.
:thumbs :hail

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Air Guard C-130 unit in town here is mobilizing since they're one of the only C-130 MAFFS-capable units in the country. Their planes have been aviating all day, I'm guessing, in preparation to ship out.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what exactly is starting all these fires?

dry weather?

Arsen?

Lighting?

All thee above and the Santa Anna winds. This Fire Storm seems to be all about the Winds. Katrina And The Perfect Storm of SOCAL fires they're calling it.

We have friends down south, all are safe but 1 of them has 4 families (17 victims) of the evacuations staying with them. Lucky they have a Big, Big house and acreage. They are going to start accepting RV's tomorrow. We've extended a welcome to anyone who might want to get away til' it's over.

Winds are >supposed to< die down tomorrow

We'll See :dunno

I can't imagine loosing everything you own like that. Gota be tough.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58