California Fires

02SilverStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rush Limbaugh had a caller earlier today who was at QualComm Stadium, and he said that there was no need for the 800 National Guardsmen who were called from the border and put on duty at the stadium. The guy said that it was one big tailgate party going on, that people were taking care of themselves and each other and getting along just fine. He said the Guardsmen were walking around in t-shirts and shorts. Rush was so impressed with the guy's call that he replayed it back a few minutes later. This is something that won't be on the "drive by" media.

johnrrogers

Old Racer
Reaction score
We live in Chula Vista, just south of San Diego and for a while it was in line for the fire that was closest to the border but it has since been knocked way way down and the rest has turned sort of northward. We actually saw some blue sky just before sun down this evening. Yesterday my daughter and I went to the "Q" where the largest evac center is and we were told they had more volenteers than evacuees so they added our names to a list of over a thousand helpers in case we were needed. They have a full computer center, wireless internet, hot food, cold food and drinks (Walmart refer trailers), tents, cots, beds, doctors, nurses, child care, teachers and a huge area for the pets from horses to iguanas. We checked a couple of other centers and the answer was the same, lots of help, so please check tomorrow. The helos and big tankers are now flying after getting the Cal fire jerks that are in charge to figure out what to do. Duncan Hunter found they did not want the military flying and taking some of the job away from the contractors that Cal Fire has working these sort of things so I figure some heads will roll when this is over as they had the Gogenator over- ride what they wanted to do with Cal Fire observers and such. On a good note, they found a "reverse 911" system actually worked, that having all agencies finally able to talk by radio on the same frequencies was a good idea and that the homeowners that had firehose and foam systems may have actually saved their homes.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We live in Chula Vista, just south of San Diego and for a while it was in line for the fire that was closest to the border but it has since been knocked way way down and the rest has turned sort of northward. We actually saw some blue sky just before sun down this evening. Yesterday my daughter and I went to the "Q" where the largest evac center is and we were told they had more volenteers than evacuees so they added our names to a list of over a thousand helpers in case we were needed. They have a full computer center, wireless internet, hot food, cold food and drinks (Walmart refer trailers), tents, cots, beds, doctors, nurses, child care, teachers and a huge area for the pets from horses to iguanas. We checked a couple of other centers and the answer was the same, lots of help, so please check tomorrow. The helos and big tankers are now flying after getting the Cal fire jerks that are in charge to figure out what to do. Duncan Hunter found they did not want the military flying and taking some of the job away from the contractors that Cal Fire has working these sort of things so I figure some heads will roll when this is over as they had the Gogenator over- ride what they wanted to do with Cal Fire observers and such. On a good note, they found a "reverse 911" system actually worked, that having all agencies finally able to talk by radio on the same frequencies was a good idea and that the homeowners that had firehose and foam systems may have actually saved their homes.

Glad you & yours made it through Fire Storm 07.

I regret having to say it but, Truth be Told. Fighting Fire here in California has become an Industry. The Cal Fire Bureaucracy puts the FEMA folks In the Minor Leagues.

Having spent 25 years in DOD Aviation.. we were involved in a number of State Emergency situations where local Military Bases made themselves, and their assets, available to respond in any way required or needed. Most assets and assistance was thankfully accepted.

NOT from Cal Fire. They have the entire Aviation side of fighting fire sooo tightly sewed up.. with Hoops, it gets down to who can FEED the crews (Micky Dee's can feed'm but it has to go thru a Cal Fire support contractor before they can deliver the Big Mac's ?). Special Interest, Good ole' Boy network at it's best. OutSourcing

THEY DO NOT WANT THE MILITARY INVOLVED. No one makes any money when or if that happens. Bottom Line.

However, listening to XM 247 today.. the Governator and one of the State bureaucrats (Feinstein (?)) got an ear full from some callers that were involved in the efforts, frustrated over Military Air assets that were "At the Ready" but being refuted (nuther way of saying: Shunned or Rejected) by Cal Fire.

Maybe, just maybe.. Arny will tear down the Office & Factory.. And build a Public Service structure ?

johnrrogers

Old Racer
Reaction score
Thanks for the thoughts. Another item that made it into the news, just slightly, was the fact that we have Predator drones down here for border security and some of their people asked if they could be used to spot flare ups, especially in some of the rough moutain areas and was told to forget it, they would be in the way!!!??? I guess Duncan Hunter and Darrel Issa and others heard about that and they are now being used too. I think enough of the Washington "power" people have gotten their back up that something will happen. At least Nancy Pelosi has not been on the news accusing Bush that it is all his fault!!!!

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
So what exactly is starting all these fires?

dry weather?

Arson?

Lighting?

News tonight said they are now thinking arson. hope they find the culprit and hang them up by there toenails.

LATimes said:
The Los Angeles Times reports that campus police in San Bernardino shot and killed one arson suspect last night, and that a suspect in a different arson was arrested. It's not known whether either may have started any of the wildfires that have destroyed 1,500 homes and displaced more than 800,000 people.

Might not need to hang the one ;)

johnrrogers

Old Racer
Reaction score
Bush flew into town yesterday and had a meeting with the fire fighters and gave a short speech. I thought it was funny that he mentioned it was great to have a govenor "who would take charge and get things done"! Too bad Arnie wasn't in LA a few years ago I guess! I noticed those fire fighters are some pretty big guys, most were taller and wider than Arnie!!??

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58