California Smog Check

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got my 2012 Tag renewal Saturday. Smog check required this time.

Unplugged the Quadzilla programmer, installed the shunt plug. Took the 2K in for the Check.

The Smog Tech turns the key On to see that the CEL comes on.. then goes off. Started it... no CEL, Shut it down.

Popped the hood.. Looked All Around the engine bay with a flashlight ( AIH delete, Racor CCV, BPRV.. all in plain sight..:sly I'm a touch nervous).. He turns to me'n sez: Clean Engine ! I sez: Thanks. (whew:innocent)

He starts it. looks in the RH mirror.. Snaps to WOT 3 times, (I don't like that) looking for Smoke. No Smoke. Shuts it down.

He plugs it in (DIN plug) to the Cali smog checker PC thingy. Scans a Bar Code on the PC bench, pokes some buttons (I'm nervous again).. Screen sez: Beginning Check.. 3-4 seconds later.. Screen sez: Check Complete- Passed C.A.R.B. Smog Check.

Done deal:cool: 50 Bucks :(.

:dunno

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Great going Joe! Many others here and on other sites will be doing this and probably won't pass. I passed last year and I didn't have to anything. Just drove it to the shop and done.

Dave

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear it all went well, it never hurts to have a clean truck and a
engine bay when you go in for one of these checks. Glad we don't have
this crap here.
Doug

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great going Joe! Many others here and on other sites will be doing this and probably won't pass. I passed last year and I didn't have to anything. Just drove it to the shop and done.

Dave

Ya, I was a bit shaky about the whole deal, being this was my first G0 'round with this [Grandfathered] nonsense. But I Gotr Dun.

I had visions of de-mod'n everything.. but I think it goes to show ya.. these things are still "Complyant" even mod'd some. (Probably More Eco-friendly, IMO)

Glad to hear it all went well, it never hurts to have a clean truck and a
engine bay when you go in for one of these checks. [Glad we don't have
this crap here.]
Doug

Only thing is Doug.. What these Air Sniffer/Bug Squeezers out here conjure up.. usually migrates North, then East. Hope you guyz have enough Clout to keep the Crap at-bay.

Joe

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
What I was told was they look for hotrod parts and missing systems, like a straight exhaust when you should have a CAT. If you get past the visual you are almost assured of passing. Never take it in for smog check if you have a check engine light on. Automatic failure.

Dave

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I was told was they look for hotrod parts and missing systems, like a straight exhaust when you should have a CAT. If you get past the visual you are almost assured of passing. Never take it in for smog check if you have a check engine light on. Automatic failure.

Dave

I agree Dave.

Looking back on it, In 15 minutes.. They just look for obvious non-OEM modifications, excessive Smoke, and if the Diagnostics part doesn't read any emissions related Codes.. Yer Good To Go.

As I was paying the 50 bucks.. I asked the shop owner how many Diesels Fail, under this new retro-requirement, he said not many at all. But he Did say, he had one of them >LOUD OBNOCIOUS< Dodges not long ago, that Smoked Out The Shop.. when they did the Snap Throttle check. It Failed, just on that.

Last edited:

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
Got my 2012 Tag renewal Saturday. Smog check required this time.

Unplugged the Quadzilla programmer, installed the shunt plug. Took the 2K in for the Check.

The Smog Tech turns the key On to see that the CEL comes on.. then goes off. Started it... no CEL, Shut it down.

Popped the hood.. Looked All Around the engine bay with a flashlight ( AIH delete, Racor CCV, BPRV.. all in plain sight..:sly I'm a touch nervous).. He turns to me'n sez: Clean Engine ! I sez: Thanks. (whew:innocent)

He starts it. looks in the RH mirror.. Snaps to WOT 3 times, (I don't like that) looking for Smoke. No Smoke. Shuts it down.

He plugs it in (DIN plug) to the Cali smog checker PC thingy. Scans a Bar Code on the PC bench, pokes some buttons (I'm nervous again).. Screen sez: Beginning Check.. 3-4 seconds later.. Screen sez: Check Complete- Passed C.A.R.B. Smog Check.

Done deal:cool: 50 Bucks :(.

:dunno

wow what a load of bull muffins
back in the day Florida tried to do the emissions testing on oil burners...made me nervous and itchy
young punk jump in and go to the floor with the throttle :rant
92 f250 IDI dont exactly like that
then they stopped it and just took your 10 dollars and gave you pass

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow what a load of bull muffins

[young punk jump in and go to the floor with the throttle :rant]

I didn't like it either PB. I let him know it Too !!

With a load on it (?) maybe. No load (?) No way, IMO.

When I got home, I scanned it for any over rev codes. No Codes found. But I STILL don't like it. :rant:rant

I'm guna see if I can't navigate through the C.A.R.B. bureaucracy and let someone know about it too.

Anyone else have an opinion on WOT.. No Load.. 3 Times ???

Joe

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone else have an opinion on WOT.. No Load.. 3 Times ???
Joe

Yes Joe, I have a very strong opinion and I am against anyone doing that to our trucks.
I have seen a few people do this but, just don't believe in doing this to a diesel.
Doug

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58