california SMOG testing......

dieseldork

dieseldork
Reaction score
Well it looks like the state is gonna start testing our beloved Superdutys, Im a little concerned about having mine tested next year.I n reinstall all of the items I've removed or replaced, pretty simple and straight forward, But still when tested im gonna have to remove the TS chip and then have it tested. My ebpv has been disconected, wires cut, plug still installed, I need to find the wires that used to go to the plug, Also the fuel bowl heater has been unplugged, the plug is there but the wires have been cut, I see the wires and can put those back together, ccv will be easy, aih will be simple, But i still am nervous.I guess I'll just wrry about it later, My VIN # is odd so I have a year to make it all work...

bears4x4

grease monkey
Reaction score
they are going to test older sd, i thought it would be just new production and then on????

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been Bird Dog'n this thru a friend that does the already required CARB, DMV, EPA.."Smoke Checks" on Caly Commercail trucks. To date, he hasn't seen nor heard anything about it.. other than... It's still being looked into.

FWIW ? I had him "Smoke Check" my 2K.. It passed with Flying Colors ;tu (per my Sig)

Joe

dieseldork

dieseldork
Reaction score
DIESEL POWER, this month states that california assembly bill 1488 will require 1998 and newer model year diesel vehicles less than 14,ooo lbs will be teted every other year starting this month,,,,,trucks with vin #S ENDING IN EVEN #S WILL BE REQUIRED TO TEST WHEN THE ARE TO RENEW THER REGISTRATIONS. TRUCKS ENDING IN odd #S WILL BE TESTED NEXT YEAR..... Also its a VISUAL COMPONET test as well, check engine light operation will also be checked....and a BAR-97 scan tool will be used to communicate with the onboard diagnostic system.........souds like its a matter of time before they get after US....

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I heard this about six months ago and raised the red flag, but got poo poo'd on it. Told Ya!!

Dave :)

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DIESEL POWER, this month states that california assembly bill 1488 will require 1998 and newer model year diesel vehicles less than 14,ooo lbs will be teted every other year starting this month,,,,,trucks with vin #S ENDING IN EVEN #S WILL BE REQUIRED TO TEST WHEN THE ARE TO RENEW THER REGISTRATIONS. TRUCKS ENDING IN odd #S WILL BE TESTED NEXT YEAR..... Also its a VISUAL COMPONET test as well, check engine light operation will also be checked....and a BAR-97 scan tool will be used to communicate with the onboard diagnostic system.........souds like its a matter of time before they get after US....

Oh YA.. It's just a matter of time.. but for now, until I git something from the DMV.. i'll hang on. I've got all the OEM stuff and program back to stock.

I don't put much stock in the Mags & Media word anymore :dunno

Dave... I [think] it's still being hammered about, as to When & Who.. In Sac town.

Last edited:

preito520

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Military

Hey from what i Understand out of state vehicles belonging to military personnel dont need to have their cars inspected in Cali is that true I transfer out there in April

Thanks

Ted

jwbdually

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hey from what i Understand out of state vehicles belonging to military personnel dont need to have their cars inspected in Cali is that true I transfer out there in April

Thanks

Ted

I just retired a couple of years ago so things may have changed but, I think Naval Station San Diego was requiring smog on out of state vehicles before they would issue a base decal. CA doesn't do the safety inspection like VA but they will get you with smog test.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg