california SMOG testing......

4x4grey88

Nascar Fan #88
Reaction score
Hey from what I Understand out of state vehicles belonging to military personnel don't need to have their cars inspected in Cali is that true I transfer out there in April

Thanks

Ted

Your vehicle is only held under requirements of which they are registered. If the registered state does not require smog you will not be required to smog in California until you register it in California.

You can not have a California DL and maintain out of state registration (tags). Having legal residence in another state, maintaining that states license and registering your vehicle legal.

Last edited:

4x4grey88

Nascar Fan #88
Reaction score
This is my second comment on this issue.
If you are chipped and need to smog your SD you can just turn down the settings for the smog process and turn it back you after completing it. Also think about something. If you installed a EGR block (without removing it totally) do you think that someone can just look at your engine and see it?? or will they have to dismantle to view. As long as the truck does not blow heavy black smoke it should pass smog.

We voted these people into office :rant to make laws and take kickbacks from big money companies..... Don't forget the state is a big company too.

TUGGER

Reaction score
from dmv.ca.gov

Smog Information
Currently, smog inspections are required for all vehicles except diesel powered vehicles manufactured prior to 1998 or with a Gross Vehicle Weight (GVWR) of more than 14,000 lbs, electric, natural gas powered vehicles over 14,000 lbs, hybrids, motorcycles, trailers, or gasoline powered vehicles 1975 and older.

Vehicles registered in areas subject to the biennial smog certification program are required to submit evidence of a smog certification every other renewal period. Owners of vehicles six or less model years old will pay an annual smog abatement fee for the first six registration years instead of being required to provide a biennial smog certification. The registration renewal notice mailed to you by the department will indicate if a smog certification is required. If a smog certification is required and you have not had a smog inspection, you may still pay your registration fees to avoid any late fees. However, you will not receive your new registration or year sticker until the smog information has been received by DMV.

Smog Information

the latest reason for leaving CA

Last edited:

6.0PSD777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got a sticker the other day and they did a smoke test on my truck which it passed but it shocked me at first that they test for that. The age of emissions is upon us...

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
They are supposed to floor it for a short time. This is to see the smoke. The engine will not blow up as there is a rev controller that sets the Max Revs the engine will turn. Try it, I did and nothing usual. I won't comment on your rip-off comment.

Dave

paulpe99

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
i would gladly pay that $60 rip off fee if it meant i can drive in with my mods and that's all the testing he does. can you PM me with the name and address of that smog shop? i just want to get it over with, without removing my mods.
thanks

Samohajo

Banned User
Reaction score
California air quality resources board. Or CARB has you bent over the fender. Apply for a hardship exemption and let the smog guys adjust on your car. Unless you drove this 1994 from the 47 other states that do not require ZLEV or ULEV emissions California does. You will be OK they will wave your car past emission." If you imported this car from Nevada watch out your car is out of compliance and has to be eliminated!" just kidding. You really need to get the local smog athority on your tail pipe.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14