Question Camshaft float?

twt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had camshaft float?? My truck misses, runs , misses, runs. I have heard that the camshaft can wear a plate & move to the rear of the block, & the cps looses the signal . Have you had this problem & how do you check how much the shaft is moving -(the gear has lobes on it ). Anyone know what the fix is? Been chasing this problem for a while, new uvc wires,cps's,idm,injectors,fuel filters & fuel pressure is good at wot.?? HELP

Scooter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a bad CPS. At least that is what my truck did at the start when it went out.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
camshaft endplay specs are 0.051-0.203mm (0.002-0.008 in)

Seems that if the camshaft was drifting back replacing the standard CPS with the blue DT 466 CPS would help remedy the problem since the magnet on that one.

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
i thought if the cam was walking it wiped out the sensor from moving too far forward, not back? i could be wrong, i thought i heard that somewhere....?

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
I THOUGHT SO..... TWT, did you pullout your CPS and look for "kiss" marks or otherwise obvious destruction on the tip of the sensor?

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remember reading quite a while back on TDS where guys were having odd missing problems with slightly bent pushrods evidently the rod was just bent enough that at times it would angle right and there would be no problem and others it would be just wrong and allow for the valve timing to be off just enough to be noticeable.

This is easily checked with a narrow straight edge with the valve covers off without even touching the rockers.

twt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can change a CPS while sleeping - no marks on the cps. I`m thinking of taking .0020 off the cps to put it closer to the cam to see if the problem gets better. I`m not sure if I have a timing problem with the cam or the cps is too far away to get a good signal or both. This miss just became noticable when I put in a tuner & yea I`v had it out & tested another.:dunno

Clyde99

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Well if the problem developed just after putting in a tuner.... do the math. I would suspect a tuner problem.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14