Camshaft positioning sensor.... not sure yet!

toobsluver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok about an hour ago I am driving down the road and my Ex decides to die. Bam just shuts right off. It wouldnt start back up. I went and got a new fuel filter and put it in. It started right back up and then died about a block from my girlfriends. So it was a start and stop for about a block until I got it to the front of her house. Kinda embarassing when your somewhat new vehicle is starting and stopping every 10 or 20 feet!

I remember reading somewhere on this forum about this same problem. I have about 78000 miles on my truck, my boss has about 6 fords all diesel and 3 of them had the same problem and what was replaced? The cam shaft sensor. I am figuring the same thing. I am getting my truck towed in about 20 minutes to one of the local dealerships. Hopefully I don't get wacked hard and it gets done tomorrow! Thank god I know the service manager at this dealer ship so hopefully it won't be a problem. I am also guessing that it is a waste of time to try to go through my aftermarket warranty company for something so small.

Anyone have any idea why this problem occurs or what makes it occur? How easy is it to fix? Can it happen again? Shall I get a spare for the future? This is easy money for ford! This should be a recall!

This is a post from last night in the fordexcursions.com forum.

........ Well it is Monday morning and I got to call the dealer, I am almost positive that it is the CPS, but hopefully they don't try to screw me and tell me it is the fuel pump or something like that.

Someone replied to that post saying that it is really easy to change. All you need is a 10mm wrench and about 10 minutes. Is it really that easy to get to? It sounds like it is as easy as changing your oil filter. If I had the time and the part I would have changed it last night!

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
Its the cps. It takes 15 minutes to change with the learning curve. Yes you should have a spare in your truck, with 10mm tools to change it. Bryan

CHPMustang

Reaction score
I moved this thread over here to the 99+ 7.3L Powerstroke engine slot since the same CPS is used in both Excursions and SuperDuties:sweet

Here's an ARTICLE on the CPS in detail.:cool:

CHP

toobsluver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Bill, I jsut got the damage from the dealer, parts and labor is $369.00 (normally $439) and $125.00 for a trans flush. He also told me that he couldn't get any error codes out of the ECM because I must have had an aftermarket chip in the truck at some point. I told them yes. :dunno It doesn't matter cause it isn't under factory warranty. It is under aftermarket warranty, but that is a garunteed piece of BS! I am young and I learned to never purchase an extended warranty unless it is by the dealer that the vehicle is made by!

When my motor or trans takes a crap and dies I have to make sure I know how to clear the program from my computer so there is no trace of it if I try to go through my warranty company!

Also another thing that I learned! MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A SPARE CPS in your glove box!:thumbs as for the 10mm wrench.... I have this sitting in the back of my truck: Sears Craftsman Tool Box
I Highly Recommend it!

Last edited:

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Your dealer is full of it, the CPS almost never ever sets a code in the PCM and if it did it would still do it with the chip or programmer in there anyways. Unfortunately you got hosed for nearly 400.00 clams for a 10 minute $90.00 repair

CHPMustang

Reaction score
toobsluver said:
Thanks Bill, I jsut got the damage from the dealer, parts and labor is $369.00 (normally $439) and $125.00 for a trans flush. He also told me that he couldn't get any error codes out of the ECM because I must have had an aftermarket chip in the truck at some point.
No kidding about damage! Holy Moses!:rolleyes:

Friend of mine took his Excursion into the Dealer for the scheduled transmission fluid flush and on his way home(15 min drive) the transmission basically went boom internally:(

The only time I know of for CPS DTC's to surface is if the engine is a no start during the code scan otherwise it's hit and miss:rolleyes:

Most service drive advisors have no knowledge of the Powerstroke engine & electrical systems so they'll give a standard issue brown paper bag line to the vehicle owners :rolleyes:

toobsluver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
95_stroker said:
Your dealer is full of it, the CPS almost never ever sets a code in the PCM and if it did it would still do it with the chip or programmer in there anyways. Unfortunately you got hosed for nearly 400.00 clams for a 10 minute $90.00 repair

Thanks that makes me feel better! Well it is not my dealer it is just one of 5 Ford dealerships in the local area. Trust me if I knew the ease of changing this part before hand, I would have done it myself. I am used to swapping motors in my drag car in under an hour or 2! Besides it is my transportation, it is worth every penny to get fixed ASAP. My vehicle is valuable to me. I think I would have paid even more money instead of getting driven around and waiting a day or two for the part and then installing it. At the time last night when everything happened, I was worried and didn't know what was involved with fixing it. Now I know and ,well, next time I will be prepared! Live and Learn.

Oh by the way CHP I asked about the transmission thing, about how sometimes changing the fluid can cause your tranny to grenade, well they said that doesnt usually happen at the mileage that I am at. Only something with over 100,000 miles. I am currently at 77,746. I am hoping nothing happens to the trans. I do like to romp on it ALOT so I don't know how bad it will be if they change it. They recommended I do it now other than it being too late!

Last edited:

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
Do some reading on this site. If you work on your own motor on your drag car, then almost all the info you need is here. If not, just ask. The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask. Bryan

toobsluver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
whatabudro said:
Do some reading on this site. If you work on your own motor on your drag car, then almost all the info you need is here. If not, just ask. The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask. Bryan

Well I just joined today! You can count on my being on this forum checking things out almost everyday and putting my 2cents in here and there. I have been looking for a good forum like this for who knows how long now. This place is great and I already got some great ideas for mods! Infact, I am very experienced in building my race motors. My current motor my 427 has 725HP (at the fly wheel) here is a pic of me working on it
209876100_l.jpg

Last edited:

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
toobsluver said:
My current motor my 427 has 725HP (at the fly wheel) here is a pic of me working on it
209876100_l.jpg

725 HP--is that all? You know, if you add a bunch of stickers and a fart-cannon exhaust tip, that HAS to add at least 150 HP (10 per sticker and 100 for the tip)... ;) :p :p

You also need to add one of THESE to your car "IF YOU WANT TO MAKE YOUR CAR SOUND FASTER AND MORE AGRESSIVE BY ADDING A NICE HIGH-PITCH "SPOOLING" TONE:...

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl