Can I flip my rear shackle/spring hangers?

06silvercrew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As the title says, have any of you guys done a shackle/spring hanger reversal on your SD trucks? Ive done it on MANY older fords (73-96 style) to gain about 2-3'' or lift. I am at work and havent studied my SD closely but I dont see why I cant do it? Anyone have any ideas on why I shouldnt do it? Thanks,

Scott

mwalls54

Tex
Reaction score
I am sure it can be done, i would go out and look at mine but its in the shop. I just did a cheap add-a-leaf and i gained about 2 and a half inches and now it dont hardly squat when i tow heavy loads and it dont ride any different.

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
by that statement do you mean to take the rears and put them in the front??

if so i believe the answer is NO. i asked the very same questions many months ago - don't remember the reason.. would have so sift/search thru old threads to find it.

but i am guessing someone may come along w/ the answer

06silvercrew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, I mean the rear hanger on the rear sprng. Grind off the rivets and literally flip it upside down and reattach to the frame. Its known as a "shackle reversal" I know it will work I as ive done it many times on half ton trucks but I was wanting some input as to weather or not I should do it on a SD, maybe due to weight etc.

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
oooooooooooo-

yes, i believe the answer i was given was NO because w/ the weights we can carry in the rear (towing) it would have an adverse effect on its carrying/towing capacities

MidwestOffroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are a few after market shackle drops from fabtech and VSS. but yes you can flip the stock ones with some additional modifications.. but the rivet removal suck..

06silvercrew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nah, air chissel makes easy work of them. Think Im gonna try it as the biggest load I ever pull is a 2600#mustang on an aluminum car trailer.

MidwestOffroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the air chisel is a start but dont be surprised if it takes a hour a side.

keanoknick

Big Stroker
Reaction score
Could you post up some pics and a "How to" when you do this, I would really like to know more about it, Thanks!

06silvercrew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yupp I sure will. Im doing this in hopes of not having to "stack" my rear blocks for my lift kit. Im hoping I can do this, and add the add-a-leaf and have my 6'' of lift.

Scott

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58