Question Can I swap my V10 for a diesel??????

SJB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2001 Super Duty with the V10. The truck is in great condition and has been babied, but I've been debating on switching to a diesel. I was just wondering if it was possible and cost effective to install a diesel motor in my current truck? Would it be relatively easy to do, or is there too many things that would be involved? If it is relatively easy, does anybody know where a good source is to pick up a diesel motor that isn't going to break the bank? Any feedback appreciated......

Last edited:

6.0PSD777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the easiest swap to do would be to put a Cummins in it but would still be expensive to have someone do unless u do it yourself so then u just have to get and fabricate parts. That being said, Why would u want to get rid of the V10? i've seen them run up to 300K without issues and their pretty fast...Your call though

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well do you need a diesel?....do you pull regularly? If so then you probably do need a diesel. If I was going to drop a psd engine in my truck, I would get the black mamba powerstroke. Its a 7.3 thats already mechaniclally beefed up. But I would probablly just buy another truck myself. Find somebody that would do the job for you and ask them if they can give you an estimate of how much it would cost.

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the easiest swap to do would be to put a Cummins in it but would still be expensive to have someone do unless u do it yourself so then u just have to get and fabricate parts. That being said, Why would u want to get rid of the V10? i've seen them run up to 300K without issues and their pretty fast...Your call though

Well if this guy is pulling regularly then a diesel would be worth it. You wont see the fuel milage loss with a diesel like you would with that gas hog when pulling a load. My dad has a V10 and pulls a 5k lb box trailer and gets like 5mpg. I pull my 10k lb 5th wheel and get 9mpg at 75mph.

Cummins would deffinately be a great swap. But I just read something today that I really didnt believe..."Why did International choose to build a V-8?

When designing the first diesel engine for Ford trucks, International wanted an engine that would make the truck versatile, as both a work horse and reliable daily driven vehicle. After all, it was unlikely that a trailer would be permanently hitched to all these trucks and towing be their sole purpose. Therefore, a V-8 configuration was chosen. The prefered V-8 gave the trucks plenty of low RPM torque for towing, and built horsepower throughout the RPM range for better daily driver performance. In comparison, an inline 6 cylinder diesel would peak out at a low RPM and lower performance in the high RPM range, hardly desirable for such a versatile pickup. The V-8 has proven to be the most popular design in a light duty diesel truck."...got it off internationalpowerstroke.com .

I guess the biggest thing for me to believe about this is that I've heard of cummins pulling bigger loads uphill and walking off and leaving a powerstroke. But I guess that just depends on the mods.

6.0PSD777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with that because i use my truck as a daily driver and i love it and it does tow good plus i get 14mpg city and 17 highway - loades i get around 12.5-13mpg. If he does tow alot then the Cummins would be the good choice for the low end grunt. I personally love my 6.0 and wouldn't trade it for a Cummins. Still puts a grin on my face when i roll into the throttle :D

6.0PSD777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard from a few people that the V-8 configuration make a better DD than the 6 for the reasons you stated. I guess when u look at it the Powerstroke and the Duramax are both V-8's and Dodge is the only one that uses the I-6.

SJB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right now I don't tow anything (hence I know the truck is in good condition). I plan on buying a toy hauler - nothing huge (hopefully sometime this year). Everybody I know that had a gas motor and switched to a diesel said that it was the way to go. So it would be mainly for recreational use and some daily driving, but not a ton.

The mpg sucks on the V10, and I'm expecting it to be really bad once I finally put a load on the back of it. I was thinking the diesel would be nice for better gas mileage (however, from the diesel research I've done the diesel numbers I've heard have not been all that impressive - at least not as much as I was expecting/hoping).

I'm limited on what I can spend for a diesel truck as I don't want to spend much out of pocket over what I can sell my V10 truck for (hence, trying to make the switch worth it money wise). So it basically limits me to a diesel truck that is going to have some miles on it. So in that regard, I'm a little worried about getting rid of my good condition V10 w/ low miles for a diesel that may turn out to be a money pit.:dunno

Last edited:

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score

vanguy67

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I was thinking the diesel would be nice for better gas mileage (however, from the diesel research I've done the diesel numbers I've heard have not been all that impressive -

I know what you mean....BUT.. like my Dad always says: " Your mileage would suck if this was an Accord you were driving, but it ain't too shabby for a big truck with 4 guys in it and a 22k trailer behind it....

I drive an International tractor with a DT466e pulling about 32k regularly. If THAT got 9mpg I would be dancing in the street! (AND actually making $$$).

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The cummins swap would be the best/easiest. But you'll probablly end up with the 12 valve if you do so don't be expecting to be quick off the line. Any diesel you buy, you will be saving money by buying a programmer and gauges at LEAST. My truck started out at stock getting 12mpg and now with my chip and other mods I get 14.5mpg. That gives me another 75miles before fill-up on each tank (30gal tank).

If you're set on the psd, then you might be best on trading your truck in for one. A powerstroke with around 150,000 is a low mile truck and would be a good investment. Try looking for one that hasn't been lifted so much that all you could do is play with the thing. Also, try finding one that hasn't been chipped.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simmons Inaya