Question Can someone explain this blast furnace sound at startup?

NevrKnow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok....sorry to bother you guys with a dumb question. But still being newborn to my "new to me" PSD I'm wondering something. When I start it up....it starts fine and sounds "normal" to me...then give it from 30 secs to a min. I hear this loud whine such as a jet engine. Hit the accelerator and it goes away. I was thinking it's Turbo related but wanted to ask some people who are alot more knowledgeable than me about this. Please forgive the new guy for probably a dumb question, I just dont want to overlook something that may be a major concern and me being new to diesels I wouldn't know any better. Thanks

PS. Absolutely NO other problems with startup, no smoke, no lag just that noise.

dpantazis

Reaction score
its probably the EBPV- exhaust back pressure valve. its there for a number of functions, mostly it helps the truck warm up when cold and a PITA place for an oil leak, having a tube to crud up and clean. search on EBPV for info.

NevrKnow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I didnt even know what an EBPV was. Went hunting old posts after you told me what it was. Will check the tube first thing in the AM. Gonna keep reading up on the exhaust brake parts. Any thoughts good or bad on that? DAMM glad I found this forum and thanks alot for helping us newbies out. Much Appreciated!!!

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I didnt even know what an EBPV was. Went hunting old posts after you told me what it was. Will check the tube first thing in the AM. Gonna keep reading up on the exhaust brake parts. Any thoughts good or bad on that? DAMM glad I found this forum and thanks alot for helping us newbies out. Much Appreciated!!!

One thing to watch for is the tube that runs from the front of the passenger side exhaust manifold to the front of the motor to the Ex. Back Press. Sensor.

What the EBPS does is sense an increase of pressure when the go pedal is depressed and the EBPV is closed. When that happens, it'll open the EBPV to allow the engine to rev and make power.

If that little tube gets plugged with carbon or gets a hole in it, the EBPS will never sense an increase of pressure and the EBPV will remain closed until the engine warms up. If the EBPV remains closed at highway speeds, it can result in reduced lubrication to the turbo. The EBPV can be deactivated by unplugging the EBPV actuator wire connector going into the turbo pedestal.

93turbo_animal

Full Access Member
Reaction score

No problem stick around we'll help you spend your money LOL

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58