CAN the 6.0 run on biodiesel?

SUPERDUTYSPV

Ford Fan
Reaction score
I would REALLY like an official answer about whether or not I can run biodiesel in my 6.0. Anyome know whether Ford has an answer about this? TIA!

CHPMustang

Reaction score
I asked a close friend the same thing if it's compatible with the 6.0L's fragile fuel system hardware and he stated it works fine with no issues,now whether or not Ford looks down on it I dunno about.

I trust him with his personal opinion as he's been in the Bio-D hobby for years :sweet

Bill

CHPMustang

Reaction score
I inquired with a close friend a couple weeks back if it's compatible with the 6.0L's fragile fuel system hardware and he stated it works fine with no issues,now whether or not Ford looks down on it I dunno about.

I trust him with his personal opinion as he's been in the Bio-D hobby for years :sweet

Bill

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
CHPMustang said:
I inquired with a close friend a couple weeks back if it's compatible with the 6.0L's fragile fuel system hardware and he stated it works fine with no issues,now whether or not Ford looks down on it I dunno about.

Bill

Huh didn't hear yah? :roflmao :roflmao :roflmao

Houndog

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
SUPERDUTYSPV said:
I would REALLY like an official answer about whether or not I can run biodiesel in my 6.0. Anyome know whether Ford has an answer about this? TIA!

If I owned a 7.3 or especially a 6.0 and thought I would wake up one day, decide to make some fuel out of waste grease, and then throw it in the tank of my $50,000 truck that night - I'd need to have my head examined.

Now - if I've learned how to take that grease and get a GOOD COMPLETE reaction, washed it, dried it, really understood what I was doing, and in a perfect world, had been refining my fuel making ability on a less expensive vehicle for a year or so and when I held it up to the sunlight, it looked like apple juice - then ABSOLUTELY !

Neither Ford, GM, VW, Mercedes or any other manufacturer is going to give their blessings to run some unorthodox fuel in their diesel engines. Looking at it from their perspective, I can't say that I blame them. A few of the commercial biodiesel outfits have proven themselves to make really crummy fuel so just because it's "commercial" doesn't mean it is worth a damn. Most of the time that could mean it's worse. Then there are thousands of people running out and buying fuelmeisters or some other cokamamie contraptions and dumping that in their very sensitive PCM controlled everything vehicles. I wouldn't want to warranty that either. I fear that we're in for some horror stories and will hear about some major repair bills due to some of the goo people will dump in their tank. Unfortunately with the high price of fuel, some folks will throw all caution to the wind to save a buck.

Houndog

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
Houndog said:
If I owned a 7.3 or especially a 6.0 and thought I would wake up one day, decide to make some fuel out of waste grease, and then throw it in the tank of my $50,000 truck that night - I'd need to have my head examined.

Now - if I've learned how to take that grease and get a GOOD COMPLETE reaction, washed it, dried it, really understood what I was doing, and in a perfect world, had been refining my fuel making ability on a less expensive vehicle for a year or so and when I held it up to the sunlight, it looked like apple juice - then ABSOLUTELY !

Neither Ford, GM, VW, Mercedes or any other manufacturer is going to give their blessings to run some unorthodox fuel in their diesel engines. Looking at it from their perspective, I can't say that I blame them. A few of the commercial biodiesel outfits have proven themselves to make really crummy fuel so just because it's "commercial" doesn't mean it is worth a damn. Most of the time that could mean it's worse. Then there are thousands of people running out and buying fuelmeisters or some other cokamamie contraptions and dumping that in their very sensitive PCM controlled everything vehicles. I wouldn't want to warranty that either. I fear that we're in for some horror stories and will hear about some major repair bills due to some of the goo people will dump in their tank. Unfortunately with the high price of fuel, some folks will throw all caution to the wind to save a buck.

Houndog

People that are not careful manufacturing their own fuel will pay the price, eventually. But that was not the question. The question was "Will the 6.0 run biodiesel?". The answer....

Yes and no, depending on where you are coming from. Ford says NO MORE THAN B5. That's 5% biodiesel mixed with 95% dino. Any more, and your warranty is VOID. They also said that about my 7.3, my FIL's 7.3, and all three of his Mercedes'. He runs homemade B100 without issue.

There are some rumors that the super-high injection pressures (~30,000 psi) created by the 6.0 HEUI system will "polymerize" (turn to plastic) biodiesel and WVO. There are people running bio in 6 liters without issue. I have never heard of anyone with big gobs of plastic on the injector tips, but the 6 liters haven't been around for THAT long, so :dunno .

One would think that if this were a problem, that it would have surfaced by now, because there are probably a LOT of people running B20, B80, and B100 in 6 liters, and an internet search for such "polymerizing" failures turns up nothing on my computer.

If it were me, i would run bio in my truck, and bank the savings on fuel (assuming you're home-brewing) to replace injectors if it happens. Without someone willing to try, we'll never know.

Houndog

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hoss 350 said:
People that are not careful manufacturing their own fuel will pay the price, eventually. But that was not the question. The question was "Will the 6.0 run biodiesel?". The answer....

Yes and no, depending on where you are coming from. Ford says NO MORE THAN B5. That's 5% biodiesel mixed with 95% dino. Any more, and your warranty is VOID. They also said that about my 7.3, my FIL's 7.3, and all three of his Mercedes'. He runs homemade B100 without issue.

There are some rumors that the super-high injection pressures (~30,000 psi) created by the 6.0 HEUI system will "polymerize" (turn to plastic) biodiesel and WVO. There are people running bio in 6 liters without issue. I have never heard of anyone with big gobs of plastic on the injector tips, but the 6 liters haven't been around for THAT long, so :dunno .

One would think that if this were a problem, that it would have surfaced by now, because there are probably a LOT of people running B20, B80, and B100 in 6 liters, and an internet search for such "polymerizing" failures turns up nothing on my computer.

If it were me, i would run bio in my truck, and bank the savings on fuel (assuming you're home-brewing) to replace injectors if it happens. Without someone willing to try, we'll never know.

Hoss

I don't believe I missed the question at all. My second paragraph says yes you can. I just had more to say about it than just yes.

Houndog

Last edited:

ranger boy

Banned User
Reaction score
Houndog said:

Houndog

you really make a good point, and thats the way i feel...until i hear it is perfectly ok and 100% tested then i'll switch...but now im iffy about the whole thing

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
Okay, had another discussion about plymerizing, and they are actually starting to find that pressure has very little to do with it, and that it is more of a fuel quality issue. They have also found that good bio was even more resistant to it than dino, but varying quality levels in bio made it become apparent in the tests.

So, if you are running good stuff, then i would say go for it. If not, then you may have issue. But I guess that is true with any fuel...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58