Can TPMS be adjusted?

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Lookout Crumm is back :doh:

Got a wild hair yesterday morning and decided to buy a new truck. Found the one I wanted 360 miles away so I booked a flight and drove her home last night. It's a 2015 F350 Lariat SuperCab SRW 8' bed. Driving home on rough roads covered in solid ice I found that she was less than a smooth ride and didn't hook up the best. Today a light bulb went on in my head and I went out to the shop and checked the tire pressures. 65 in the front and 80 in the rear so no wonder she rode like a lumber wagon. Dropped them all to 50 psi and took her for a spin. Yup she now rides like a caddy but the TPMS light is on and a big warning lights up when you fire her up. Doing some searching I find that some people say they got their dealer to reprogram the system but others say the dealer refuses. Any way to just fix it on my own? I am going to try 45 psi tomorrow which I think will be just about right for traction and ride. 80 psi is ridiculous for a empty truck.

Any ideas?

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
There are only two sensors for the trucks. One is a low pressure for the half-tons, hysteresis pressure 26 psi.. and the other for the Super Duty's..
now, I think hysteresis pressure on these is 55psi.. look at the door post.. whatever the fronts are, they trip at seven psi less than that.
There's no way to "adjust" the sensor.
When you rotate them, you'll need to re-train the system so it learns the tire positions.
Yes, a special tool is usually required, but apps are becoming available on iTunes and I would assume Google play as well.
You need an iPhone 5 or above running iOS 6 or above.

It's a Bluetooth transmitter in the wheel, and a receiver in each wheelwell.

Let me know if you get stuck on something.
I'll shoot you a PM with my cell number.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Welcome back Crumm. Now you have a new truck to mess with, and I see you wasted no time...

Dave ;tu

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
When you rotate them, you'll need to re-train the system so it learns the tire positions.
Yes, a special tool is usually required.

I have the special tool to train them. Bought it from tire rack when I purchased new winter tires/wheels for the wife's new Taurus. Getting the Taurus Limited with push button start into train mode is about a pain.

Talked to service department today and they said they have been able to reprogram some and not others so once we get a chance we will swing by and see what they can do. It's not the sensors they reprogram it's whatever they relay the information to..

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
There is a Tire Pressure Control Module that keeps track of the tire pressures. I don't know if it is really called a TPCM by Ford. My Toyota Coralla has a similar controller.

Dave

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure there are still a low pressure and a high pressure sensor.

Everything since '08 has it..
and everyone calls the control module something different..

train mode on your truck is easy..
put it in park, set the e-brake..
stab the brake pedal, then cycle the key on-off three times, ending in run..
stab the brake pedal again, cycle they key three more times ending in run..
double horn chirp alerts it's in learn mode

Last edited:

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
train mode on your truck is easy..
put it in park, set the e-brake..
stab the brake pedal, then cycle the key on-off three times, ending in run..
stab the brake pedal again, cycle they key three more times ending in run..
double horn chirp alerts it's in learn mode

Yeah it's simple on a truck with a key. Have you ever did one with a push button start? You about get a blister on your finger by the time you hit that button 673652 times.

Swung by the dealer yesterday but the guy with the know-how wasn't in. Will try again Tuesday afternoon.

Did mount up a black diamond plate cross bed tool box, door protectors and chrome ford emblem license plates yesterday. Few extras setting off that ruby red metallic is looking sweet. Project CRUMBY is underway but she will never replace CRUMMY.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Success :sweet

Took them about two minutes to reprogram it to 40psi front and rear. They can be set at any psi you choose. After programming the computer you have to retrain the sensors. The retrain tool they used actually showed the exact pressure of each tire as where mine is just a remote with one button. Tech showed me the readout and I had one at 49, two at 50 and one at 51 so I am now wondering about my pressure gauge. Set them all to 47 tonight and they look about right.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58