Can't shift out of park?

LCW

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
2004 F-350 6.0 Auto dually

About 50% of the time I try to shift out of park, it won't release whatever lockout is in effect. I then have to go through a random number of cycles of letting off the brake, pressing the brake, try again, etc. Eventually the lockout releases, but I haven't found a "trick" that works every time. I don't have a shop manual - can anyone point me in the right direction to fix this?

Whata250

Whata250
Reaction score
I just had the same problem on a tahoe. It was the brake light switch on the Tahoe. It connects to show you have your foot on the brake so you can pull it out of park.

About 50% of the time I try to shift out of park, it won't release whatever lockout is in effect. I then have to go through a random number of cycles of letting off the brake, pressing the brake, try again, etc. Eventually the lockout releases, but I haven't found a "trick" that works every time. I don't have a shop manual - can anyone point me in the right direction to fix this?

powerstrokeguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score

yeh tell the ford parts department about it. theyll give you the part to fix it. ir ask em what it is and get it on ebay. i forgot whats its called exactly of course.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
in the meantime, unlock the column (turn the key one notch) press the brake, put the PRNDL in neutral, and start the engine.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58