Carpet Cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies.

lone_star_dsl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now that my truck is coming up on her 10th birthday, I figured I would strip out the interior and give everything a good cleaning.

I heard a rumor from a friend of a friend that if you remove the carpet from the vehicle and use a carpet cleaner, on it that the carpet will shrink and it will be a pain to get back in the vehicle.

Is there any truth to it? I wanted to really get the carpet clean using my cleaner then hang it up to dry.

Thanks

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now that my truck is coming up on her 10th birthday, I figured I would strip out the interior and give everything a good cleaning.

I heard a rumor from a friend of a friend that if you remove the carpet from the vehicle and use a carpet cleaner, on it that the carpet will shrink and it will be a pain to get back in the vehicle.

Is there any truth to it? I wanted to really get the carpet clean using my cleaner then hang it up to dry.

Thanks

Can't answer yer question directly lone_star.. but I'm in the same boat. 10 year old truck interior.. needs a good cleaning... and heard the same "Shrinking Thing".

I'm guna have it Professionally done. Santa gave me a Gift Certificate for ($85) an Interior Refurbish, by a local place that has the Know How & Gear to do it, and comes highly recommended by Family & Friends.

Might wana give That.. some thought :dunno

Joe

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Bad rumor on the carpet shrinking. It will not shrink unless you wash it is HOT water.

Dave

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
I will tell you from my own personal experience from basically growing up in a clean-up shop and being the son of a used car dealer.

We would and is still done today, yank the carpets out and steam clean them to make them "like new" again. Never seen or heard of a problem yet.

I have cousins that clean-up cars and they do the same thing with every car.

If you don't want to go to that much trouble and clean it while still in the truck, make up a real soapy bucket of water and primarily use the foam that the soap makes with a good stiff brush and do it in a circular motion. That is, if your carpets are in pretty good shape. If not, then pull it out and pressure wash away.

02SilverStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good info Bama. My vehicles both need good "scrubbings". The 150's carpet is getting some stains right at the edge where the floor mat stops. Since it's tan, the dark spots really show up.

Roland_Jenkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The carpet in my 86 blazer was filthy from grease. Looked like somebody hauled car parts or something in it. I thought it would never come clean.

I used a regular ol carpet cleaner with resolve. I diluted the cleaner but not by much. I was surprised how clean it came out. No significant shrinkage, George.

02Oilburner

SDD Power Hungry
Reaction score
Hey Scooter Do you own a pressure washing Biz? It looks like one on the back of your truck in you Avatar.

Butch Cassidy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will be fine.

I removed my carpet in install sound deadening on the floor and walls. While the carpet was out, I got the carpet machine fired up, and went to town on the dirty carpet. After drying for a day, I reinstalled the carpet - no shrinkage occurred. The carpet cleaned up real nice.

I also like the idea of replacing the old carpet with a new one.

Hopes this helps,

Butch Cassidy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58