Carrier Bearing and U joint Install Questions

bserventi

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I need to replace the carrier bearing on my rear driveshaft. While I had it apart I was also going to replace the U joints as well. I'm not worried about swaping the U joints, I've done the front axle U joints with out problems, I would imagine the rears would be the same.

My concern is with the carrier bearing. Is it straight forward, or does it need to be pressed on with special tools?

Thanks
Bill

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The race is pressed in, but you can hammer it in if you don't hit it too hard. You will have to re-shim for the proper clearances for the turning torque of the shaft. I don't know the spec.

Dave

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
bserventi PM me an email address and the type of axle housing that you have (Dana or Ford axle) and I can send you a portion of the manual on it.

Dave :)

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
By the way, you have blocked incoming PM (Private Messages) and I can't sent you a PM. Unblock your PM's.

Dave

bserventi

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Allright i fixed my PM's, it should be able to be sent now.

I dont know if its a dana axle or a ford axle?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Look on your drivers door post for the Vehicle ID Tag. Look for the axle code and post it here.

Dave

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Not what I thought it was; the code that is. It doesn't tell what differential you have, just the ratio and open/limited slip. You have a 3.73 with limited slip differential. Give me an email address and I will send you what I have.

Dave

bserventi

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Dave,
Thanks for the PDF file, but thats not the part I am trying to fix. I am trying to replace the driveshaft carrier bearing, I guess it is also called the support bearing. It is about 2-3 feet behind the transfer case on the main drivline going into the rear diff.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I did not understand that. I will look later when I turn on that machine again. I will send what I can find.

Dave

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14