Help Needed Carrier bearing

copracr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On an early 99 F250 2wd 6spd supercrew longbed, will the carrier bearing be pressed onto the driveshaft?

Just wondering if i could do this in my driveway since mine is shot. The bearing is still good but the bushing has shrunk and there is a ton of rotational play that gives me a vibration at highway speeds.

Teggleston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes they are pressed on, some people cut them off then use a pipe and hammer to drive the new one on but I don't recommend it. Most shops will press it on for 25-30 bucks!! Good luck

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
The hardest part for me was getting the big nut on the end of the shaft loose. Once it was loose, a few smacks with a BFH to break the u-joint saddle loose, and it came right off the splines.

copracr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The hardest part for me was getting the big nut on the end of the shaft loose. Once it was loose, a few smacks with a BFH to break the u-joint saddle loose, and it came right off the splines.

I think you might be speaking of the pinion on the differential.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
I think you might be speaking of the pinion on the differential.

Nope, carrier bearing on rear driveshaft, early 99 F-250 4x4. I replaced the carrier bearing and 3 u-joints back around last March-April.

I was hearing a droning or low pitched humming sound. I suspected it had to be either the carrier or the u-joints. Once I got the driveshaft out and on the work bench, it was obvious the carrier bearing was going bad.

Like I said, the worst part was just getting the nut loose at the center of the middle u-joint saddle. It took a 3/4" drive socket set with a 4' pipe slid over the breaker bar for more leverage. It had to be at least 350 ft/lbs that it took to break it loose. I almost broke my work bench where my vise was mounted to it.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14