cat less

stroked 350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
anybody live in a state that checks emissons on diesels. do thay fail you for not having a cat? thanks

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WA state no longer does Visual Inspections unless you fail a few times in a row.

On diesels, the only thing they check for here is SMOKE. Not gas content. We are allowed 40% blockage of the light sensor.

They check for smoke by making you do SNAP TESTS. Snap the throttle from idle to redline like 3 times and see how much smoke you blow.

This allows them to test your truck, without the turbo spooling up and cleaning up your smoke.

If your concerened about visual inspections, the interior of your CAT is nothing more than a mesh weave that is easily damaged by foreign objects resembling a broom handle. So be very careful not to poke holes in your cat while you are inspecting it for blockage.

stroked 350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a 4" exh to put on i just don't want to be screwed when emisson's time comes around .

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
stroked 350 said:
i have a 4" exh to put on i just don't want to be screwed when emisson's time comes around .

Cut off the ends of the cat, pound the innards out, then run the 4" pipe through it and weld the ends of the cat-shell in place. Voila--it looks like you've got a cat but you really don't. I will neither confirm nor deny that I have thought about doing that very thing...;)

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
jvencius said:
Cut off the ends of the cat, pound the innards out, then run the 4" pipe through it and weld the ends of the cat-shell in place. Voila--it looks like you've got a cat but you really don't. I will neither confirm nor deny that I have thought about doing that very thing...;)

that is the reason that i cant confirm/deny that i kept my cat just for that reason if the need arises.;)

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
Crumm said:
I am sure you all are talking about off-road use only, otherwise "Thread Locked".:roflmao

umm ya ok.offroad use only,well i drive in alot of parking lots,but i gotta use the street to bounce between them though.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
he's just a bit slow

mine is gutless.. when I get an exhaust I'll weld the 4" or 5" pipe directly to the back of the cat w/ an enlarged hole because In the area's w/ emissions testing it's only a matter of time before they start inspecting the light duty diesels too.

IIRC I read somewhere that Ohio is doing OBDII tests on the diesels w/ a visual cat check on the OBS trucks. & opacity on the non OBDII compliant OBS Trucks.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58