CAT & Navistar Activity

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Ford had NOTHING to do with Freightliner. Freightliner has been, and is a Daimler company. Daimler is Mercedes and Was Chrysler. No Ford connection. Where do you guys dig up this junk?

Dave

RandyH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The company I work for supplied the dash panel instrumention to Ford's Kentucky Truck Plant for Ford's class 8 trucks. They sold the FLD and HN-80 model heavy trucks to Freightliner. Freightliner moved production to St. Thomas, Ontario, rebadged the Ford with the Sterling name and have been selling them ever since. At least until last October when FL announced they were discontinuing the Sterling brand. In order to make the brand change easier, they kept the basic Ford oval and added the stylized "S" to make the new Sterling logo. That's my story and I'm sticking to it! :D

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford had NOTHING to do with Freightliner. Freightliner has been, and is a Daimler company. Daimler is Mercedes and Was Chrysler. No Ford connection. Where do you guys dig up this junk?

Dave

Dave,

I come up with what I posted from true facts, as evidenced by the link to the NY times and the 1997 article from when it happened. please take a moment to read up on the information provided via links.

:sorry this is not an April fools joke

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Doubt it, ford sold their HD truck line along with naming rights to Freightliner in 1997. Given that we are 12 years down the road any non-compete clause is likely expired but ford only held around 9-10% of the market when they were in the game.

Given the current economic status and finances of Ford I do not see it likely that they would take the large risk associated with entering a new market. Right now people are not going to be overly willing to give a new guy a chance but go with someone who has been around for a long time

Sterling

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Brandon, I got my information from Freightliner's website. I don't have access to 1997 NYT information. I know Ford sold the heavy duty truck division, like JL said. Sorry if I stepped on your toes.

Dave

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no toes stepped on, Ford sold the HD truck line to FL who renamed it Sterling (not to be confused with the Sterling axles in our trucks) and I seem to remember reading that they were planning on merging the sterling line into FL branded products to minimize internal competition between brands. I don't have any special access to NYT that's just what came up when I searched for a reference so hopefully the link works for you.

Ok back to regularly scheduled programming.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14