catalic converter rattle Got hot while towing

alex3012red

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a 03 f-250 6.0, with 139k miles on it. went camping for the weekend took my boat (2500 lbs)and on the way back i had to go thru a 10 mile dirt road, I stopped after the dirt road and noticed a rattle coming from my catalic converter, ran fine till i hit a steep mountain road and started to smell antifreeze, checked my gauges and was about 3/4( it usually sits less than 1/2 the gauge), and getting hotter, stopped waited for it to cool, and replaced loss antifreeze w/water. continued my trip and no problem. but i took it easy on the pedal. Besides flushing my coolant and replacing w/motorcraft gold. should I remove my catalic, I have an afe turboback on it but left the catalic converter. I also notice low mpg (9.7 w/35" tires). used to get 13.:confused:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The Cat is slowing down the exhaust flow and that is causing bad mileage. California is going to be testing Diesel trucks next year, so don't loose the cat. You have no choice but to replace it. Go to a good auto parts store and check what they want for a new one. It will be cheaper than Ford.

Dave :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg