Ceiling texture

CoryNM

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
My wife and I just bought our first house last week!! We will close on 24 June. But my question is around that "popcorn" texture stuff that is on the ceilings. Neither of us particularly care for it and we want to have smooth ceilings. I did some internet surfing and discovered that there is a possibility that the texture may contain asbestos, meaning that it would probably have to stay right where it is. I will get it tested once we move in, but if it does have asbestos, can I simply smooth it over with some joint compound? Would this give me a smooth enough surface? Another idea that I had was to cover up the ceiling with some 1/2" sheetrock. Anyone have any suggestions on what we can do? If the tests come back negative, I will just go to town with a water bottle and a scraper! Thanks for any input! Also, I know that there are some companies that will remove this stuff for you if it has asbestos...does anyone know how much this costs? I'm sure it can't be cheap!

JohnBoyToo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the new home Cory !
I LOVED our visit to Alb and Sandia Peak on vacation a few years ago !!!
The popcorn was THE ceiling treatment for years and years and years...
mostly because it limited the echos in the room to an extent...

don't think u could do it justice to overlay with joint compound..
(unless you are MUCH betta than me at it !)

but a new suspended ceiling would do what you want...
go by the big box stores like lowe's and home depot and pick their brains (for free !)

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Cory,

If you are up for a little bit of sweat equity the popcorn texture is really easy to remove by yourself. Just get a spray mist bottle, (like what windex comes in) and fill it with a solution of warm water and ammonia, about half and half (you can even use straight H2O) and spray a 2' x 2' section of the popcorn, let it sit for a few minutes and scrape with a very wide drywall knife, the stuff will come right off. You will be left with a pretty workable surface that needs to be painted when you are done.

Mike

DBogo

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
95_stroker said:
Cory,

If you are up for a little bit of sweat equity the popcorn texture is really easy to remove by yourself. Just get a spray mist bottle, (like what windex comes in) and fill it with a solution of warm water and ammonia, about half and half (you can even use straight H2O) and spray a 2' x 2' section of the popcorn, let it sit for a few minutes and scrape with a very wide drywall knife, the stuff will come right off. You will be left with a pretty workable surface that needs to be painted when you are done.

Mike
yea that stuff comes off real real easy mind you that it dont got asbestos in it then you got to get some king of stuff to protect you but it will still come off easy then sand it down a little to get er smooth and then paint it

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I took a plastic snow shovel to our popcorn ceilings and it left a real nice texture. The spaying it down with water and using a drywall knife works great to remove it all but then you will have to re-texture it. I just drug the shovel back and forth on the ceiling until I had it down to the texture I wanted. If you hold the shovel right it will catch 80% of the popcorn and you can dump it in a garbage bag(less to sweep up). Drag the shovel backward across the ceiling, not like you are trying to dig it up.

Roland_Jenkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That stuff does not have asbestos in it but check anyway. I could be mistaken. Home Depot among other places make a product called Texture Paint. Its thick and can be easily applied with a hawk and trowel for a smooth finish.

If you want a smooth smooth finish you will need something like a product commonly referred to as thin wall. You will need a professional plasterer to apply this product and get it smooth without flaws. It dries white.

You can use dry wall general taping mud but I don't recommend it. It would need to be thinned with water and It will check out on you unless you mix in very fine silica sand.

CoryNM

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Roland_Jenkins said:
That stuff does not have asbestos in it but check anyway. I could be mistaken.

I have heard that there could be asbestos in the texturing used prior to 1980. Our house was built in 1976. I'm going to check it out once we move in. I also found out that if it does contain asbestos, it can cost upwards of $1200 per room :eek: !. If that's the case, I think we will get used to it!

I'm sure I will have more questions about home projects!! I'm sure you can all relate to that :D

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Cory,

If you think there may be asbestos in the texture you need to get it resolved BEFORE signing on the home. Thats not something you want hanging over your head (no pun intended) as a home owner. Dont put you or your family in that position, theres a reason asbestos is no longer being used, it will kill you.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14