CEL question

TexasA&M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quick question regarding the CEL and the codes that it throws. My truck threw a P0299 code last week and I had it reset at the local parts house. If I take it to the dealer, will they be able to tell that the code was thrown, or do I need to wait for the CEL to come on again?

KRISTOLSON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may not want to wait for it to come on again... If they can't pull the code again, you can always tell them. The code you listed is a turbo underboost code. Could be your egr valve, vgt actuator, a damaged impeller, or any of these things could be dirty and need cleaning. Worst case scenario they may replace your turbo....:eek:

TexasA&M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, unfortunately I am familiar with the code.... my dad has this same year model truck and is on his third turbo at 19k miles. I'm gonna take mine in next week and have Ford take a look. I'm under waranty, so it doesn't really matter what the fix is to me.... :innocent

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
These trucks will save the code for a while. Ford will see the code. No need to wait for the CEL light.

Dave

TexasA&M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, looks like I have to wait for it to come on again. I called the Ford dealer to set up an appointment, and they said that Ford won't pay for it unless the light is on because I'm passed the bumper to bumper waranty, and into the 100k powertrain. She said I could still bring it in, but unless the tech could find something wrong with it (they probably wouldn't since the light isn't on, and there is no loss of power), I would be charged for the diagnostic.

Also, I didn't realize that there is a $100 deductible on the powertrain waranty. Wasn't real pleased to find that out, but I guess it's in the fine print somewhere. I'm mainly worried about having to pay multiple times when they don't fix the problem the first time (because they probably won't).

TexasA&M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CEL came on again today, so it's going to the dealer tomorrow. I'm almost positive that it's going to the the Turbo... hopefully they won't give me any flack about it and will just replace the whole damn thing. Not looking forward to spending $100 everytime the light comes on. :doh:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg