Center seat removal?

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to remove the bottom part of a 40-20-40 split bench front seat from an '02 SuperDuty? I'd like to build myself a storage/radio mounting console and since I don't ever anticipate someone wanting to sit on that part of the seat (I've got a 6 spd), I figure that yanking out that part of the seat and making something exactly to my specs would be the best option. Preferably, I'd like to unbolt just the bottom part since (1) the armrest/cupholder/upper console fits me just right and (2) I don't want to get too destructive with a grinder/Sawzall if I can help it.

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
I don't know but that's a good idea. I was thinking about getting captain's chairs so I could get some more stowage space. Maybe I'll get around to looking this week some time. (I HAVE to get the baby's room done!)

Scott

Scooter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The seat bottom is attached to the rest of the seat. You wouldneed to figure out a way to attach the top part to whatever it is that you have fabbed up. It would not be hard to do, if you have the skills. The cool part is that it would still be able to move the arm rest part up when you wanted, or you could mount it rigidly. Or, you could just adapt teh lid, and have enough room in the center pod to store a small south american country, and their crops. Your choice.

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you have to remove both seats to get the center out. It is "trapped" under the same bolts that hold the outer seats in.

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford_Forgotton said:
you have to remove both seats to get the center out. It is "trapped" under the same bolts that hold the outer seats in.

Hmmmm--how hard of a job do you think removing both seats would be? I want to do this project the right way, not the half-assed way and if the seats need to come out, they'll come out. I took another look at the seat this weekend and it seems like I could use a sharp knife (under close adult supervision :roflmao ) and cut off the cushion part of the seat. That way, the framework would still be in place to support the top part of the armrest and there would be some clearance space underneath for ventilation (all that electronic gear will probably get kind of toasty). Problem is, that ventilation space eats up quite a bit of room that I may or may not need. :dunno Since this project is still in the very early stages of planning, it's not a big deal for now but I would like to get a handle on how big of a project I'm jumping into...

Max Power

Reaction score
The seats are pretty easy to remove. Basically just remove the bolts holiding it to the floor, unplug the wire harnesses and carefully lift the seat out. Be carefull not to scratch your door, door post or sill panel with the metal seats brackets.

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Removing the seats is easy. Unbolt, unplug, remove.

The center console seat cover DOES NOT NEED TO BE CUT!

Put your knife away!!

If you replace the center seat with the JL audio "stealthbox" subwoofer, you actually use your stock seat cover to recover the box they send you. As such, it should be pretty simple to do the same thing with whatever you build.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58