Cetane boost and tranny fluid

JRJ04

Reaction score
guys, correct my 'knowledge' but isn't the adding of 2 cycle better for the 7.3's than the 6L?

someone else will chime in here, but in short...yes. I think the 6.0 was designed to run off the ulsd, but it could only be the newer 6.0's like 06 and 07? Im not completely sure, but someone who is more knowledgeable about the 6.0's will chime in

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
the guy did say that the atf will make it burn hotter. is this why?

more hydrocarbons per CC being injected, so its theoretically upping the btu's.

i think it only works if you have a heavy concentration, as opposed to 1 quart per tank.

ALSO.....as speeder said, atf isnt what it used to be. there are additives and friction modifiers that werent designed to be burned. SO.....i would have to say this is an old timer trick that doesnt work anymore.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
more hydrocarbons per CC being injected, so its theoretically upping the btu's.

i think it only works if you have a heavy concentration, as opposed to 1 quart per tank.

ALSO.....as speeder said, atf isnt what it used to be. there are additives and friction modifiers that werent designed to be burned. SO.....i would have to say this is an old timer trick that doesnt work anymore.

From an Ol' Timer (;)).. What Zookie sez ;tu

Back in the day,,,,, We usta run a gallon'a 10-10 hydrolic fluid (which is an Ol' Timey way of say'n ATF) thru the Jimmy's to clean'm up.. now'in agin. Also a pinch of Comet cleanser in the intake to clean up any carbon deposits.

;):sly:fogey

JRJ04

Reaction score
do even the low end brands of atf have these friction modifiers in them? Why not use hydraulic oil then if the atf has the friction modifiers in them?

caissiel

Laurent
Reaction score
I was once told that 2 cycle oil has a combustion midifier that helps burn when injected. And it is made to burn in those small engines. Hydraulic Oils and ATF Oils do have many friction modifiers that are hard to burn these days. I believe the Type F ATF oil is an old type Ford oil that has less Synthetic in it.

Last edited:

JRJ04

Reaction score
I was once told that 2 cycle oil has a combustion midifier that helps burn when injected. And it is made to burn in those small engines. Hydraulic Oils and ATF Oils do have many friction modifiers that are hard to burn these days. I believe the Type F ATF oil is an old type Ford oil that has less Synthetic in it.

so then would it be safe to say that there arent any atf's out there that dont have friction modifiers in them, and that sticking to 2 cycle motor oil might be better?

with diesel as high as its getting, i just want to squeeze out every mpg i can (and of course i am driving MUCH more conserveatively now too).

Last edited:

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
just an after thought.....i dont want atf anywhere near my injector orings, or any other seals the fuel system has.

jr - if you found some atf that was just plane jane atf, i still dont think the mpg increase would outweigh the dollar amount of atf input required, putting you right back in the "trying to save money" hole again.

just my thoughts....i havent tried it.

6LMonster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A mechanic buddy of mine brought this up the other day. He has talk to guys that have run straight Tranny fluid in their diesels. So, he is going to try it in his Dodge. I told him "good luck" and that I wouldn't do it. If he wants to ruin his 2007 Dodge Cummins, that is his problem.

I will keep you guys posted on his results.

Last edited:

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
07, thats a common rail correct? it definatly wont work in that. i have tried it for fun one day at work (x-mas time gets slow :D). nothing but smoke and nasty smell, and fault codes.

6LMonster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
His '07 has the 5.9L in it. Well, as of yesterday he is running it , so we will find out soon how it works.......

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14