Change your top end oil!

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, don't you guys think that POWERSTROKEHELP has some good points? I've been watching some of his videos on 7.3 performance and such, and I thought he sounded like he really knows what he's talking about...

Most all.. of what is offered is/are good DIY tutorials, for those that have never tackled the specific maintenance, or repair task(s).

A Bit.. of what is offered, or recommended.. is... Up For Debate ?

Changing the [Very Small Amount] of oil that remains, [temporarily] in the HPOP, during an oil change .. just being one of the "Bits" ?

Just my .03 Friis.

Last edited:

Friis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your inputs regarding POWERSTROKEHELP. You can be sure that I will ask any questions regarding my truck right here :sweet

coondog491

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with you guys completely. But what about removing that oil, say when changing from conventional to synthetic?

Or is it such a minuscule amount compared to the pan that it doesn't even matter?

atomicglock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what about some of their other sugestions?

In the series on performance mods he recommends removing the spring loaded plunger in the fuel filter housing that prevents you from running your truck without a filter in place and drilling out the bolts on the left front and right rear of the cylinder heads to increase fuel flow. Are these worthwhile.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with you guys completely. But what about removing that oil, say when changing from conventional to synthetic?

Or is it such a minuscule amount compared to the pan that it doesn't even matter?

100,000 miles ago, when I switched from Delo Dino, to Rotella Syn.. I didn't drain the "top end oil". :dunno

So what about some of their other sugestions?

In the series on performance mods he recommends removing the spring loaded plunger in the fuel filter housing that prevents you from running your truck without a filter in place and drilling out the bolts on the left front and right rear of the cylinder heads to increase fuel flow. Are these worthwhile.

Like any modifications.. It's yer call ?

Most all.. of what is offered is/are good DIY tutorials, for those that have never tackled the specific maintenance, mod or repair task(s).

A Bit.. of what is offered, or recommended.. is... Up For Debate ?

:dunno

It's All About making our own decisions. But if something sounds good, or bad.. Post it up here.. yul SURELY git second opinions. (;):))

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
It's All About making our own decisions.

We are not here to tell you what to do with your truck. We will advise you in what WE think, but you have to make the final decision. If you like/don't like something, if is your call. There are several things that WE have seen and recommend STRONGLY for or against, but it is your choice. Have fun!

Dave :)

atomicglock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
100,000 miles ago, when I switched from Delo Dino, to Rotella Syn.. I didn't drain the "top end oil". :dunno

Like any modifications.. It's yer call ?

:dunno

It's All About making our own decisions. But if something sounds good, or bad.. Post it up here.. yul SURELY git second opinions. (;):))

What I wanted to know is, has anyone else tried either of these mods and what their results were. Do they work? Could they harm your truck? Etc...

One of the other mods he suggests is to remove the in tank filters on the sending unit. If I'm not mistaken, I think this is called the Hutch mod. The other was replacing the fuel regulator spring with a firmer one. Both mods are documented in wiki.

I searched wiki for the other 2 but didn't find anything. Anybody have any experience with these?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I wanted to know is, has anyone else tried either of these mods and what their results were. Do they work? Could they harm your truck? Etc...

** If yer referring to.. removing the filter spring (?) and drilling out something on the fuel rails ? I've never heard of those two Mods.. as described.

One of the other mods he suggests is to remove the in tank filters on the sending unit. If I'm not mistaken, I think this is called the Hutch mod. The other was replacing the fuel regulator spring with a firmer one. Both mods are documented in wiki.

**There's a Screen (the Duckbill) but no "filters", parse, in the fuel tank. The "Hutch Mod" involves re-configuring the fuel pick-up/sending unit assembly, by eliminating a OEM fitting that is prone to let air be sucked into the fuel system (Not good), and re=routing the return line location. There's wiki's and good write-ups on this, on some of the Site Sponsors websites.. that sell kit's to do that Mod... and why... in more detail.

** I know of No [Firmer FPR spring], but you can Shim the one you have.. to 70 psi fuel pressure. there's a DIY on that, here on SDD too.

I searched wiki for the other 2 but didn't find anything. Anybody have any experience with these?

Just my .02 ?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58