Question Changed batteries tranny doesnt work

jherman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this possible??????
I went to AutoZone since my truck was slow cranking. I had bought the batteries 2 years ago and was pretty sure they were under warranty. I pull up to the front door of Autozone, go inside and explain i need warranty. the guy comes out looks at the batteries to identify make and model. The guy goes inside looks them up and says full warranty.
He hands me two new batteries and a tool kit. I go outside remove the old batteries install the new ones and give the store back the old ones and the tools.
I jump in the truck start it up. the first thing i notice is the TFT gauge reads N/A in the window. I figure no big deal its from losing power and needs to be reset. I throw it in reverse and it does not go right away, kinda like a delay. not much but i noticed it. I figure its just me, no big deal.
I get home and i re-initialize the edge gauges and the TFT windwow starts working reading 159*. pretty normal. The wife says lets go to the store. I throw it in reverse and there's that delay. So I say okay it's not me. so through out the shopping trip I am really paying attention and i definitely have done something.

Is it possible to short out some kind of Electronic transmission brain or something. Do these trucks have a TCM??? Has this ever happened to anybody?? Can a diagnostic be done for the Tranny.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You can hook up a scanner and see if any tranny codes, or any other codes are present. The codes may or may not be for the tranny. Post the code numbers (like P 0344) and we can tell you what they say. Removing power can cause all of the electronics to re-boot form scratch and go through a learning period.

Dave :)

jherman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay i checked for codes,there were none. So your saying that the tranny has a learning curve. Does it have a module that is doing this learning, and if so where is the module??? I dont know the whole thing is just crazy to me, I sure am scratching my head.

bocephus87

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I commonly experience the lag when slipping into Reverse or Drive whenever I load a new tune from my programmer. It's just the Transmission relearning. Removing Both batteries at the same time will do this too. I find after I flash a tune, if I rock the truck between Reverse and Drive a few times, at a complete stop, it helps to relearn quicker.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
That makes sense, as the ECM has to re-learn all of the sequences of the tranny. You speeded up the re-learning process. :thumbs

Dave

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 3 or 4 times I have had the batteries out of my 06 it seams to take about 30 miles or a day or two for it to go though all of it's relearning sequences.
One guy in our RV park in South Texas hooks his RV up to head back home to IL, then he unhooks both batteries for 10 min. He says he likes for it to relearn
when pulling the RV, it just does better. Just passing it along, don't know for sure if it's any better or not.
Doug

jherman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i will try the things you folks have suggested, but i must add, that it acts like the torque converter is not locking up, when i went to church today, i was going 60mph, and when i let off the throttle the rpm's drop to 800 like there is no back pressure so i placed it in tow haul mode and it locked up properly. I get the feeling i blew a fuse or something, i am going to look and see if there is a Torque converter lock up fuse i may have blown yesterday, Now that i know the ECM is the only controller. The part about the Torque converter not locking is not as noticeable when driving from 45mph or lower.

jherman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's an update, the truck now shifts F to R properly (no delay) but it still drops out of lock at about 50-55mph its at 687rpm which does not seem correct.

So i guess i am going to live with this, can anybody else tell me what there rpm is when they come off the throttle to coast around 55mph???

let me know what your trucks do please, i want to make sure i am not hurting anything.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58