Help Needed Changed fuel,filters and nothing

guyash01

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
i have done about everything i know to do and i read a bunch about this problem. thought i found the problem today on the lower filter housing the drain plug was stripped. replaced it and part of the housing it srwews into and still wont start. turned the switch key 8 times and try to start and it tries to run for a second and then shuts of. so i srewed the cap off the top filter and its only half full. with the cap off and switched on it fills up fast so it seems the fuel pump is working correctly. IS THERE SOMETHING I AM MISSING? HELP!!!!

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The 6.0 engine needs to reach 500 rpm on the starter or it won't get a signal to fire the injectors. It is beginning to sound like you have a battery problem and not a fuel problem. The more you grind the starter, the lower the battery gets and it will never start. Try jumping your truck.

Dave

guyash01

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
i have replaced the batteries a mounth before i had the problem, that makes sense i have had to hook cables to it and it seems if it charges to long it spins to fast but if you disconnect the cables when it gets to a certain point it tries to start i noticed something on the dash indicator a few minutes ago something like tbc and it went away. could it be the cam shaft sensor. thanks for the reply to i need all the help i can get.

guyash01

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
funny thing about all this is last week came home reached in the truck and it fired right up and ran great. drove it the next day ran fine and started perfect second day little hard to start in the moring but good the rest of the day until the forth day and it would not start and here we go again. seems like its getting air from somwhere so i started looking and on the lower filter housing i was checking the drain plug and tried to tighten it and it was stripped so i went to the ford dealership and bought a kit and replaced the plug housing it srews into and orings on it and both filters and still nothing tries to start runs a second and shuts off. i dont have a clue what to do next other than a rollback and the dealership been going on now foer three weeks and it a started over replacing fuel filters.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I have never had a problem starting after fuel filter changes. I have done a bunch of them. Strange...

Dave :dunno:confused:

bismic1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PC/ED manual states 100 rpm minmum to enable a start.

Air can be introduced from a cross threaded (or damaged o-ring) primary fuel filter cap,

Vapor introduced into the upper fuel filter bowl can also be from combustion gas due to a bad injector.

One easy check for injector problems:
"When injectors fail, it is possible for combustion gasses to flow into the fuel system and displace the fuel. The gasses come through the pintle seat and into the fuel galley in the head and up into the fuel filter.

Pull the fuse cover under steering wheel with a flat blade screw driver turn the screws 1/4 of a turn. Pull fuses 40 (fuel pump), and 302 (PCM). You might need a fuse puller or needle nose pliers. also, in the engine compartment on the drivers side by the firewall, pull Relay #304 (05-07) or Relay C1235 (03-04) (FICM relay labled IDM). Be sure there is fuel above the standpipe. If you want, before pulling fuse 40, use the fuel pump to momentarily fill the fuel filter housing. Then pull fuse 40. Then have someone crank while you watch for bubbles. Do not crank on it for more than 10 seconds max. This is the easiest way to determine mechanical condition of injectors. What happens is combustion gas will come through the pintle seat and into the fuel gallery in the head and up into the filter."

You also need 500 psig in the high pressure oil system to start.

What year model engine?

shhorn68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was having a similar problem...but very sporadically. Truck would also lug from time to time just never in a consistent manner. I changed the filters and it ran like a scalded ape...for a while. Then everything started over again. Long story short I had to have the cam shaft sensor replaced, crankshaft sensor replaced, and FICM rebuilt. I have been at work the last two weeks and my wife picked it up and said it back running good.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14