changing fuel filters

NDsuperduty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had the WIF light come on last night and decided it was time to change the filters. My buddy who owned a 2wd 6.0L said it should be like a 15-20 minute process. Well 35minutes later I will could not get the water seperater drain plug to loosen up. I decided to just change the filter, which took another 30 minutes. the front drive shaft makes it damn near impossible to unscrew the flangewith a wrench and it was to tight to be done by hand. And what are my options to get the drain plug undone. I was tring to unscrew it counter-clockwise and it never moved and I started to bend my allen wrench.

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
Had the WIF light come on last night and decided it was time to change the filters. My buddy who owned a 2wd 6.0L said it should be like a 15-20 minute process. Well 35minutes later I will could not get the water seperater drain plug to loosen up. I decided to just change the filter, which took another 30 minutes. the front drive shaft makes it damn near impossible to unscrew the flangewith a wrench and it was to tight to be done by hand. And what are my options to get the drain plug undone. I was tring to unscrew it counter-clockwise and it never moved and I started to bend my allen wrench.

Your plug may be frozen. There was a recall awhile back to replace the fuel water separator--if my memory serves me correctly. My plug got stripped out so I brought it to Ford and they said they were going to replaced the whole thing under a recall anyway so I didn't have to worry about the stripped plug (it was stripped because it got frozen in there).

The best thing that I found for changing the frame mounted filter is to first drain the dang thing via the plug, and then make a funnel out of aluminum foil starting above the frame rail and angling--like a water slide--down into a bucket so when you remove the fuel filter cap, the fuel runs down the "water slide" into the bucket. With a 4WD model, it's going to be a pain getting the cap off as well as loosening the drain plug.

Good luck.

Last edited:

NDsuperduty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you say frozen, do you mean stuck or do you mean frozen? In texas things very rarely freeze tight, especially not in summer. I going to buy an allen wrench socket set for my 1" drive and see if that will get it un-stuck. Besides making it easier to change the filter, does it matter that I did not get that drain from plug in stead of the flange.

NDsuperduty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should the WIF light go out as soon as the filters are changed, or will it take a tank of gas to clear everything out? I filled up last night, then the WIF light came on, changed filters at midnight and im still getting the light today.

Buffs F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go to your local snap-on,mac, matco or napa dealer and tell the you need a ford 6.0 fuel filter socket its an odd ball size. It will be about 15 bucks then all you need is a 3/8 socket wrench and a long extention and it will come off without striping. Also the socket workes great to remove the oit filter cap (same size). Hope that helps

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
Should the WIF light go out as soon as the filters are changed, or will it take a tank of gas to clear everything out? I filled up last night, then the WIF light came on, changed filters at midnight and im still getting the light today.

you may need to remove the filter drain screw
and cycle the key to ON a few times to purge all the crap out of the assembly

then put in a new set of filters

go buy a 32 mm socket 6 point and use it to remve the lid, works mucho better than a wrench

also there is a drain plug replacement thing that goes to the LCF trucks. search round its an old post for the correct part number, it will aloow you to unscrew it by hand or atleast a small pier.

costs about 12-20 buckaroos

read this

DragonSlayer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are there any aftermarket parts(fass?) that replaces the watersep? It would be nice to have one with spin-on filters.:thanks

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
roberts right...theres nothing odd ball about the cap / nut
size...i have a old 3/4inch drive set and i just use one of the 1" plus
sockets in the kit...a socket and ratchet are the BEST way to
get the caps off (oil/trans-bypass & bot fuel filters)

once you get that OLD drain plug out upgrade it --> FDDTS - HFCM Water Separator Drain Plug Upgrade

you could be suffering from WAX build up...there is a TSB
that calls for replacement of the HFCM (horizontal fuel conditioning
module) the HFCM fwiw is the fuel filter/water separator thats
mounted on the frame rail.

when you change the fuel filters you should be changing
both (frame rail & engine mounted).

i should add that a FUNNEL in to a jar works well....something
that allows you to get UNDER the HFCM but OVER the frame rail...

i stole a vase from my wife (hey i gave 'er the flowers and the vase
anyway...so doent it make it mine too the cheap glass vase (more like
a large jar) is flared at the top and indented at just past the
top so it fits nicely between the HFCM/Drain and the frame...it is really
very benefical (thanks honey) for catching most of the draining
fuel and reducing the MESS from dribbling down the front
drive shaft or frame rail.

a funnel...w/ some poly tube on it, draining into a catch pan would probably
work just as well...but dont tell my wife

heres a photo of how bad the wax build up can be....when you
dont perform the periodic/proper maintenance...if theres enough
crud in the hfcm it can prevent the light from EVER turning off...no
matter how much or how often you drain it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58