changing gears for bigger tires on a diesel?

jbuller

2001 4x4 powerstroke
Reaction score
I have a stock 2001 f 250 4x4 with 3.73 gears and stock tire size, i want to go with 35 inch tires but keep my stock gears is there going to be any problems? i know the gas truck would lug bad in overdrive if you did this but i figured a diesel would have plenty of low end power to keep it rollin fine.

rescue911g

Rescue911g
Reaction score
You will be fine. No problems! But you will want to change gears just becouse you won't be happy with the loss of power. Go to Ford and they will adjust your speed O for you.

wheelhopper

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Can't most hand held programmers adjust for different tire sizes? I know the Hypertech programmer on my '02 does. If you don't have any mods to your truck I would get a tuner that will correct for your tire change. You will be able to use one of the tunes to increase performance so you won't even notice a change power wise.

silverF250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You won't be able to tell a difference with 35's. They also shouldn't make a gas engine lug in o/d either. I've had two lifted gasser's one on 35's and one on 38's and there was no need to regear. We have a lifted Ex now and there is no power loss.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58