Changing Rear Disc Brake Rotors on a Daullie

Rex-a-FORD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone changed the rear disc brake rotor on a duallie? If so what has to be done to get the rotors off? Do I need to take the hub apart/off.

Do I need any special tools?

Haven't looked yet just gettin' ready to start.

Tcat

Tcat-F350
Reaction score
Hey rex. I have changed them and no there is no speical tools required but I did have the pull the axels out to remove the rotors! But when you pull the rotors make sure that the emergency brake is released. there is a drum attached to the rotors that are for the emergency brakes

Rex-a-FORD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep in mine this is a duallie, not a SRW.

Well, had to go out and buy a special locknut tool for the rear axle hub locknut.
It was a Lisle 28000.

28000L.GIF

Ratcheting Lock Nut Tool

Double-Ended for Both Sizes of Ratcheting Style Lock Nuts.
Two tools in one! Small end fits Ford 1986 to 1994 light trucks with Dana 44 front axle. Large end fits 1985 & newer Ford F150 - F350 trucks with the Dana 80 full floating rear axle. Press tool into lock nut and rotate to release the ratchet inside the lock nut. A torque wrench is used when installing. Use with 1/2" square drive.

28000in.gif

Other than that it was just a matter of taking the hub off the axle unbolting the rotor from the hub and hitting it a couple off time with a big rubber faced hammer. Bolt it back together, repack the wheel bearing, put it back together, torque the hub locknut to 60 ft. lbs. then back off 1/6th turn, put axle back in and torque to retaining bolts to 80 ft. lbs.

All done, test run about five to seven miles, hub felt nice n' cool like the one I didn't touch.

Should be good to go.

Last edited:

Rex-a-FORD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FIREWERKS said:
Hey Rex, where did you find the tool? I had to do the last set by hand , what a pain in the you know what.

I bought mine from a local auto parts store "Arnolds Motor Supply". Looks like they might go by "Auto Value" in Texas.

A little on the pricey side.............$46.00 plus tax, but it worked slick.

Here's a link to Lisle Tools. They specialized in automotive tools and products.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14