Changing shocks

Discussion in 'General Super Duty Discussion' started by 01yellerCobra, Sep 5, 2016.

Car Parts
  1. 01yellerCobra

01yellerCobra Full Access Member

What mileage did you swap out the shocks on your truck? Another forum I'm on says Ford shocks are done around 20k and my truck is almost as 21k. It seems that the ride isn't as good as when it was new, but it could also be in my head. I already plan on going with Bilsteins when I change them out.

2. DaveBen

DaveBen SDD Senior Member

I switched out at close to 30,000 miles. I switched to Bilsteins and WOW do they make a difference. Go for it!

Dave

3. tabdiesel

tabdiesel SDD Junior Member

I put new Bilsteins on my truck recently and it's been probably around 75,000 miles since the last set. Honestly, you can't tell much if any difference in the ride. I have a 6" lift and I think my truck rides just great. But, it is a total waste of money to put on any high dollar shocks or piggy-back shocks of any kind because it will ride no different than with a cheap set because these trucks are so heavy. High end shocks are just for looks.

4. john griffin

john griffin Full Access Member

I bought my truck in sept 1999 for towing a backhoe/equipment trailer. I changed out all 4 stock shocks to Bilstiens at around 500 miles and it was like a different truck. Those shocks served untill around 185000 miles in 2014 when I got another set of Bilstiens.The old ones still had a gas charge in them,the rod covers were rusted away,but they showed no signs of leaking around the shafts.The bushings were loose on the front ones,but other than that they were completely serviceable.The front sway bar links,not so much,but thats another story!

5. WD40

WD40 Full Access Member

I put Bilstiens on my 06 at about 25,000 and there's still doing fine at 116800.
    Doug

6. f100cleveland

f100cleveland When In Doubt,THROTTLE ON

I chased a clunk in my front end for years swapping out some front end parts then at 73K put on Bilsteins and clunk went away. Something inside shock from new was bad. Rides the same