changing the oil in a diesel?

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Since im a newbie diesel owner, I'm not quite sure if changing the oil is any different than a gas engine, besides the quantity of oil of course. How many quarts (or gallons) do i need anyway? Any recommendations? I plan on using what the guy before me had in it which was Rotella. What weight should i use? Should i change my fuel filter everytime i change the oil? Should i change the oil every 3000 or 5000? I have heard conflicting stories on all these topics, so that is why i am asking.

Gus Johnson Ford

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Ford recommends

Oil changes should always have the oil filter changed every time.
Weight of the oil is 15W40.
The length of time is generally dependent on how the truck is driven. There is severe duty & regular duty.
Also if in dusty driving conditions or highway miles.
For diesels the oil changes are conditional on how you use the truck & what Ford diesel you have (7.3L. 6.0L or 6.4L).
I can send you some info Monday when I get back to work if you want.
Chuck

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
and make sure you fill the oil filter with fresh oil before you screw it back on the engine!!!!!

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check out your service and user manuals, they're informative. But, your 7.3L takes 15 quarts of oil. If you don't drive it hard, 5k is the interval. You might consider an oil analysis since it is new to you (from Blackstone Labs, Ft Wayne IN for example) just to establish a baseline of engine condition. Capture the sample when you change the oil, they explain the procedure. Consider getting the Fumoto valve so you don't have to pull the drain plug each time and look for new washers...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58