Changing the oil in the rearend and front

BIG DUTY

F-250 Care Taker
Reaction score
Oh my bad on the super crew definition. I guess i assumed he was talking about a super cab. Anyway good luck with your axle fluid change.

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I wouldn't waste my time or money on the modifier... all it does is keep the clutches from sticking after extended periods of straight driving, like the highway. If you have over 20k on the clock and have taken it on wet grass, your limited slip is probably shot. Mine is. Auburn Gear tells you specifically to NOT put that stuff in. Granted you're stock, but the principal is the same.

By the way, factory fill is synthetic 85-140 in the rear and conventional 80-90 in the front.

Not a tough project, just make sure you keep things clean if you're doing a flush.

bern rattler

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
FWIW,
I changed my rear end oil to Royal Purple 2 years ago, and it stated on the bottle that NO additives were needed for liminted slip rear ends.

HeavyAssault

Full Access Member
Reaction score
75-140 is the correct rear fluid to use. I swapped to the '08 cover sealed with black RTV and used Royal Purple with no additional modifier. No issues at all. If you get the new cover you will need longer mounting bolts.

Be careful not to scratch the seal surface when you remove the old cover. Remove all old sealant, clean the sealing surface removing all old oil, clean the inside of the diff. Install the new cover with sealant, let it sit for 10 mins and refill with your fluid.

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
Im not sure if the oil capacity is incresed or not. If it is, it is very minimal. The stamped steel covers have a tendency to rust. They also do not cool the oil as well as a 2008 cover. The 2008 cast aluminum cover has cooling fins on it to reduce rear axle oil temps.

would this cover fit my truck?

bserventi

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
What is the correct capacity for the front and rear end? Don't want to buy too little and dont want a bunch left over

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58