Changing the oil on 6.0

bbdano

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
Please bare with me, as I am new to this posting stuff. I've got a 2005 F-250 SuperCrew with the 6.0 diesel. This is my first diesel...probably my last. (the oil companies got to gether and saw I finally bought a diesel, they said lets raise the price of diesel)
I've always changed the oil on all my vehicle, but since I bought the F-250, I've been letting my local Ford dealer rip me...er, I mean change the oil and filter. I figure its about time to do it myself. Is this something I should be able to tackle?
I used to work in a service station...20 years ago and am mechanically inclined, so I'm no dummy under the hood...cept for my diesel!

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
changing the oil yourself is a cake walk...
install one of these --

QuickOilDrainValve.com - the best way to change oil

I buy my oil @ costco...was in 6gal cases
but costco & tractor supply are about the cheapest.

filters are available at walmart (15 for the fram, 19 for the motorcraft).

youll need a good catch pan, and jug...since youll be draining off
about 14quarts.

do NOT re-fill w/ 15quarts...fill using between 13.5 & 14q (to prevent
surging)

bbdano

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
oil change

That drain cock looks like something I may have to purchase, assuming that my oil pan does not have the recess in it that they tell about on that website. I've also been told that I should run Amsoil. I know that stuff is big bucks, but guys tell me that you don't have to change it as often. You got any info on that?
dano

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You will run into warranty problem if you don't change your oil to Ford's schedule, no matter what oil you are using. After the warranty period is past, you will want to use Blackstone Laboratories to determine how well your oil is doing and to figure out when to change it. Good Luck!

Dave

bbdano

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
oil,warranty

Thanks Dave,
I still got 20K to go on engine warranty, so I should still let my dealer change the oil, or at least use their reccomended oil, right?
On the other hand,I was in contact with a place in Florida that sells Amsoil products. They said that if your Ford dealer tells you that using Amsoil in your engine will void the warranty, they are WRONG. I got the link if you want it. Its a big long article, and (I don't know how to ad the link to my post like you guys do when you just put in the name and its a different text color, like you did for for Blackstone Labs.) they even said you could run it many thousands of miles and it still won't void warranty. In the same breath, I believe they also may have put some kind of by pass on the filter. That may getting a little too technical for me.
dano

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I don't care what oil you use. Ford does not care as long as it meets the API rating for diesels (which Amsoil does not). Amsoil has their own style of "marketing" oil and I will not get into it with anyone. It is your truck so you decide what you want to do.

Dave :)

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i subscribe to the "change it and change it OFTEN" school of
oil changing...in my mind youd have to run synth. oil 3 times
as long just to break EVEN.

theres something to be said for draining the old oil, and all the
garbage that MIGHT be circulating or trapped in the filter.

if you intend to run oil (synthetic or dino) longer than 5k or so
then i highly recommed that you perform some periodic sampling.

Blackstone Laboratories - Diesel Engines

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dano, first off I want to say Welcome to SSD.com. We all are glad to have you here and hope that we will be able to learn from each other.
I know how you feel about the price of Diesel fuel going up after you got your truck, same here.
I use RotellaT 15 W 40 and motorcraft oil filters. You will find that a lot of us do.
When changing your oil, remember that the oil filter is on top of the engine on the 6.0 and it should be changed first so all of the old oil will drain into the pan, then drain the pan last. This way you get all of the old oil out of your engine.
Good luck with your new to you truck. Post some pictures of your ride and also fill in your Signature and let us all know where your from.
:w4 :welcome4 :welcome2

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58