Charging system isn't?

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went to get some 2-stroke oil tonight, and my dashboard battery indicator idiot light stayed on after start and never went off. I have a Aux Idle Controller that shows battery voltage, and it was 12.1-12.3 V, like when first started, for the whole short drive and return.

I am charging it now so that it will start tomorrow ... but ... can I assume it's the alternator? The batteries are new as of last fall and in great shape (just checked their specific gravity over the Christmas holidays...no crud on terminals, solid connections.

I note the alternator is pretty hot for such a short run - but then I don't recall checking it when "normal" so not sure if that means anything. In the wiki section (here) the alternator part numbers are listed as:

Alternator

(Ford) F5UU-10300-CA 215Amp Ambulance alternator
(Motorcraft) GL504RM 130A

Some time ago in another post, Joe pointed out this website for info and possible replacement. Will a "large frame" fit without modification? Anybody put one of these in?

Am I on the right track assuming alternator?

Thanks!

Last edited:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd vote the Alternator has gone South Rich :(

And yes, a big frame Alt bolts right up.. fits with no issues. Simple R&R.

As noted, I went with the 160 AMP.. from Quick Start.. No issues, excellent customer service.

I had some "Flickering" at idle.. from new. the 160 amp fixed all that.

Joe

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Joe!

Did you add their funky "QuickTifier" (what a name!) or stick with the basic single bridge rectifier. I am sort of baffled by their "double" and "tripple" rectifiers -- seems like perpetual motion. I mean, 160A is 160A, no matter how many rectifiers you stick on 'er? I guess it has to do with wear&tear...:dunno

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Joe!

Did you add their funky "QuickTifier" (what a name!) or stick with the basic single bridge rectifier. I am sort of baffled by their "double" and "tripple" rectifiers -- seems like perpetual motion. I mean, 160A is 160A, no matter how many rectifiers you stick on 'er? I guess it has to do with wear&tear...:dunno

:lmao I didn't go Techno with it either.. Just ordered a 160 amp, large frame Alertator and replaced the OE one. Done deal.

I'm think'n all that "Quicktifier" is for High Demand useage.. I don't have that.. so I didn't go there.

Joe

Y2KW57

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
RSG... do you have dual alts or a single alt?

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Thanks Joe!

has to do with the ripple pattern a standard rectifier puts out.. I don't see the advantage of it either..
if you have an electronic device in your truck that's that sensitive to voltage, you need to be running it through an inverter anyway..

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RSG... do you have dual alts or a single alt?

it's a single ... I'm hoping to get the new one (large frame 6G) by tomorrow so I make the swap this weekend.

JL - you are right it must be to make "real" dc I guess; anyhow I didn't get it. Looks like more of a PIA.

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put in the new alternator Thursday night and what I nice difference. It consistently produces a charge (based on voltage reading) at idle. That alone makes me glad I 'upgraded'. Only install issue is the positive post bolt is a bigger diameter than stock so I had to open up the electrical connector a bit.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put in the new alternator Thursday night and what I nice difference. It consistently produces a charge (based on voltage reading) at idle. That alone makes me glad I 'upgraded'. Only install issue is the positive post bolt is a bigger diameter than stock so I had to open up the electrical connector a bit.

;tu Yul Like & notice the difference as time goes on too.. No more flicker when you power up any Aux stuff, no more slight dimming of anything at Idle.

After I did the up-grade.. I wunder'ed "What Waz Ford Thinking". : two Batts, Glow Plugs, Fuel heater.. all the Creature Comfort stuff (Lariat/KR).;):). seemed like a Flaw in the Atlernaror capacity.. Long Term anywayz.

:coffee

Joe

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58